Malaysian Sikh council seeks for proper directives to avoid ‘final rites’ controversyJune 3rd, 2009 - 6:13 pm ICT by ANI
Petaling Jaya (Malaysia), June 3(ANI): In order to prevent controversy over final rites relating to the Sikh comunity, the Malaysian Gurudwra Council appealed to the government to issue proper directives to Ismalic religious aiuthorities.
The appeal follows in the wake of Mohan Singh’s body being not released by the Sungai Buloh Hospital to his family as he was believed to have converted to Islam in 1992.
Malaysian Gurdwaras Council President Jagir Singh said he was agitated that Mohan’s family could not take his body to perform his last rites as required by Sikhism, Star online reported.
“We are of the view that a Syariah Court is not in a position to determine Mohan’s religion as most witnesses who can vouch for his professing of religion are non-Muslims, whose evidence the Syariah Court has no jurisdiction to hear,” Singh said.
Earlier, the Selangor Islamic Religious Council had claimed that Mohan had converted to Islam in Penang in 1992. They had also filed an application at the Syariah High Court to certify Mohan’s conversion status. (ANI)
- Mohan Singh was a Muslim, rules Malaysian court - Jul 06, 2009
- Malaysian court declines Hindu widow's appeal - Aug 20, 2010
- Dead man's religion sparks row: Malaysian judge says law inadequate - Jul 07, 2009
- Body-snatching practice divides Malaysian society - Jun 25, 2009
- 10 arrested in Malaysian anti-terror raid targeted places of worship - Jun 17, 2010
- Three brothers face hangman's noose in Malaysia - Jun 03, 2011
- Malaysian-Indian teacher granted leave for full trial to quash children's conversion to Islam - Jul 28, 2010
- Bibi Jagir Kaur can vote in presidential poll: EC - Jul 03, 2012
- US TV documentary features Hindus and Sikhs - Apr 05, 2011
- Malaysian Sikh body calls for regulation of non-Muslim places of worship - Jun 12, 2010
- Malaysian court allows Muslim convert to revert to Buddhism - Mar 17, 2009
- Malaysia gets its first Imam via 'X-Factor' inspired reality show - Jul 31, 2010
- PM appeals to people to maintain peace - Sep 30, 2010
- Badal government's lone woman minister convicted, jailed (Roundup) - Mar 30, 2012
- Malaysian-Indian teacher to file contempt of court case against Muslim husband - Apr 03, 2010
Tags: controversy, conversion status, council president, gurdwaras, islam, june 3, jurisdiction, last rites, mohan singh, muslims, penang, religion, religious council, sungai buloh hospital, syariah court