Majority of Fatah movement supports dialogue with Hamas: officialAugust 9th, 2008 - 3:43 pm ICT by IANS
Ramallah, Aug 9 (Xinhua) A majority in Palestine President Mahmoud Abbas’ Fatah movement supports a resumption of dialogue with rival Hamas, a senior Fatah official said here Saturday. Mohamed al-Hourani, a member of Fatah central committee, said a majority within the Fatah movement also wanted to reach a realistic deal of reconciliation with Hamas.
The two rival movements, Fatah, which controls the West Bank and Hamas, which has been controlling the Gaza Strip since last summer, are the biggest political groups that represent 90 percent of the Palestinian population.
In recent weeks, the two movements intensified their crackdowns and arrests on each other, following a bombing on a Hamas car that killed five militants of the movement July 25. Hamas has directly accused Fatah of being behind the attack.
“I believe that all parties now are more inclined to stop the current situation of media throwing at each other because it hurts the people who struggle for freedom and independence,” said al-Hourani.
Egypt, which has brokered a truce in the Gaza Strip for six months between Israel and Gaza militant groups led by Hamas, is also trying to mediate a comprehensive dialogue among the Palestinian political factions.
“Cairo has sent written documents, which include three major questions related to the factions’ desire to launch a dialogue in Egypt. I believe we are close to dialogue and we have to prepare the better atmosphere for it,” said Hournai.
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Abbas not to hold bilateral talks with Iran - Aug 31, 2012
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Palestine denies reports of reconciliation with Hamas - Jun 19, 2010
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Hamas foiling Gaza power crisis solution: Palestinian PM - Mar 26, 2012
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
Tags: central committee, fatah, fatah movement, freedom and independence, gaza strip, hamas, mahmoud abbas, militant groups, militants, mohamed, palestinian population, political factions, political groups, president mahmoud abbas, ramallah, reconciliation, resumption, truce, west bank, xinhua