Mahesh Bhatt, Kuldip Nayar to light peace candles at WagahAugust 14th, 2010 - 1:20 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 14 (IANS) Bollwood film producer Mahesh Bhatt, noted journalist-writer Kuldeep Nayar and many social activists will light peace candles at the Attari-Wagah border and exchange sweets with people from the Pakistani side Saturday night. The Border Security Force (BSF) has made elaborate security arrangements at the border post, an official said.
The BSF said it will beef up security at the Attari-Wagah joint land border checkpost between India and Pakistan to ensure smooth Independence Day celebrations there Saturday midnight.
“We have made fool-proof security arrangements and also increased the patrolling in the wake of Independence Day celebrations,” BSF Deputy Inspector General (intelligence) and official spokesperson Pankaj told IANS.
“Prominent personalities like Mahesh Bhatt and Kuldeep Nayar will go the border at around 11.45 p.m. We expect 40-50 people to accompany them,” he said.
“They will light candles on the border, exchange sweets and words with people, who will come on the other side of the border. Today (Saturday) is Pakistan’s independence day so the Pakistani Rangers have also sent sweets for us,” he said.
Mahesh Bhatt and Kuldeep Nayar have been lighting peace candles at the border on every Independence Day for the last few years.
The BSF guards the nearly 553-km long fenced international border in Punjab.
- BSF gives Pakistan Rangers sweets at Punjab border (Lead) - Aug 15, 2010
- Thousands converge for I-Day celebrations at Attari border - Aug 15, 2010
- Sweets and greetings exchanged at Attari border - Aug 15, 2011
- India, Pakistan border guards exchange Diwali sweets - Oct 26, 2011
- India, Pakistani troopers exchange sweets on Eid - Nov 07, 2011
- Peaceniks light candles at India-Pakistan border - Aug 15, 2009
- Pakistan Rangers offer BSF sweets on I-Day - Aug 14, 2011
- Indian, Pakistan border guards exchange greetings - Aug 15, 2012
- No zero entrance through Bangladesh border: BSF chief - Aug 29, 2012
- BSF-Pakistan Rangers exchange sweets at border on Diwali - Oct 17, 2009
- India, Pakistan peaceniks hold candlelight vigil on Wagah border - Aug 15, 2010
- 'Kya Dilli Kya Lahore' first look unveiled in Attari - Aug 15, 2012
- BSF troops exchange sweets with BDR, Pak Rangers on Diwali - Oct 18, 2009
- BSF Guards offer sweets to Pakistan rangers on I- Day - Aug 15, 2010
- 325 more Pakistani fans cross into India - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: attari, border post, border security force, bsf, chandigarh, deputy inspector general, film producer, fool proof security, independence day, independence day celebrations, india and pakistan, international border, land border, pakistani rangers, patrolling, peace candles, security arrangements, social activists, spokesperson, sweets