Maharaja of Rajkot’s 1934 Rolls Royce to become world’s most expensive carAugust 19th, 2009 - 1:47 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 19 (ANI): A custom-built Rolls Royce that once belonged to the Maharaja of Rajkot is set to become the world’s most expensive car when it goes under the hammer in Germany.
The car, known as the Star of India, is expected to fetch 8.5 million pounds at the auction being conducted by the Rolls-Royce Museum at Muhlheim, reports the Telegraph.
The luxury car, built in 1934, has a number of features, which were considered unique at the time including headlights, which are controlled by the steering wheel and track the vehicle’s progress in the road.
Similar technology - now called “adaptive curve lights” - is featured on a number of cars today including BMW’s and Mercedes.
The price raised for 1934 Phantom II 40/50 HP Continental “All-Weather Convertible” is expected to exceed the 7.2 million pounds paid for a 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa at an auction in May.
It is part of famed Rolls-Royce collector Hans-Gunther Zach’s private collection, and bids are being invited until September 15.
Zach is accepting bids on 24 other rare Rolls-Royce’s and three Bentleys including a 1926 Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP Phantom I Open Tourer, built for the Maharaja of Nanpara in India and known as the “Aluminium Sculpture” because of its natural aluminium body and chassis.
Also up for grabs is a Phantom II Cabriolet “Hunting Car” built for the India’s Maharaja of Rewa. Designed to hunt India’s tigers, the “Hunting Car’ has a specially designed gun rack built into the chassis. (ANI)
- Udaipur's vintage Rolls-Royce wins US trophy (With Images) - Aug 20, 2012
- Rolls-Royce returns to the city of Nizams - Dec 07, 2011
- Indian Maharajah's Rolls-Royce up for sale at 850,000 pounds - Apr 12, 2011
- Cartier pays tribute to restored 1911 Rolls Royce (With Image) - Mar 15, 2011
- Rolls-Royce bags $12.6-mn Indian order for buoy vessel - Aug 22, 2012
- Canadian art gallery displaying Maharaja Ranjit Singh's throne - Nov 22, 2010
- Maharaja of Mysore's Rolls Royce to be auctioned - Aug 29, 2011
- Rolls-Royce unveils latest model - Oct 05, 2011
- 1936 Bugatti Sells At Record Price! - May 09, 2010
- 2010 Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe Now At Reduced Price - Jun 23, 2010
- Rolls-Royce, HAL setting up aero engines production facility - Dec 07, 2011
- A royal scratch that would cost her $29,800 - Feb 08, 2012
- Rolls Royce previews Phantom Coupe in Delhi - Feb 28, 2009
- Rolls Royce opens office in Abu Dhabi - Dec 13, 2011
- A book on Indian maharajas and their cars - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: aluminium body, bentleys, cabriolet, chassis, expensive car, ferrari 250, gun rack, gunther, headlights, luxury car, maharaja, muhlheim, phantom ii, private collection, rajkot, rewa, rolls royce, star of india, steering wheel, testa rossa