LTTE suicide attack damages one ship off Jaffna coast (Lead)October 22nd, 2008 - 9:28 am ICT by IANS
Colombo, Oct 22 (IANS) A Sri Lankan cargo vessel was “badly damaged” when the Tamil Tiger rebels Wednesday carried a pre-dawn-suicide attack targeting two government merchant vessels off the Kankesanthurai harbour in the northern Jaffna peninsula, naval sources here said.Navy spokesman Commander D.K.P. Dassanayake said that three explosive-laden suicide boats of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) targeted merchant ships Ruhuna and Nimalawa, off Kankasanthurai (KKS) harbour at 5.10 a.m. Wednesday.
“One of the suicide boats has exploded in close proximity to Merchant Ship Nimalawa causing considerable damage to the ship’s hull,” Commander Dassanayake said, claiming that these two merchant vessels were deployed to transport essential supplies to the northern Jaffna peninsula.
He said that the sailors providing security on board the targeted vessels “have engaged machine gun fire at the approaching suicide boats effectively, and destroyed two of them before ramming on the ships”.
He claimed that the third LTTE suicide craft had been captured by the navy.
Further details were not known immediately.
There was no immediate reaction from the rebels in this regard.
- LTTE suicide-boat attack damages one ship off Jaffna coast (Second Lead) - Oct 22, 2008
- LTTE suicide attack on two merchant vessels off Jaffna coast - Oct 22, 2008
- Shutdown in Jaffna to protest LTTE attack on merchant ships (Lead) - Oct 23, 2008
- Shutdown in Jaffna to protest LTTE attack on merchant ships - Oct 23, 2008
- India to finance major harbour project in Sri Lanka - May 08, 2011
- India to finance major harbour in Sri Lanka (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- LTTE boat destroyed, four Sea Tigers killed: Sri Lankan Navy - Dec 28, 2008
- Time to frame rules to protect our fisherfolk (Comment) - Jul 23, 2012
- Sri Lanka Navy claims seizure of Tamil rebel ship - Dec 21, 2009
- Navy sinks two LTTE boats, kills six cadres: Sri Lanka - Feb 08, 2009
- 14 Sea Tigers killed: Sri Lankan Navy - Nov 01, 2008
- Sri Lanka Navy kills 25 Tamil Tigers - Apr 29, 2009
- Krishna flies to Jaffna to assist ethnic Tamils - Jan 18, 2012
- Capsized naval ship to be decommissioned in 2012 - Dec 02, 2011
- Body recovered from boat wreck off Kerala coast - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, machine gun fire, merchant ships, naval sources, navy spokesman, northern jaffna peninsula, pre dawn, suicide attack, tamil tiger rebels