LS Committee recommends expulsion of BJP MP KataraOctober 20th, 2008 - 9:08 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 20 (ANI): A Lok Sabha Committee has recommended the expulsion of controversial Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP Babubhai Katara, allegedly involved in the infamous human trafficking case, for misconduct from the Lower House.
The Committee, headed by senior Congress MP V Kishore Chandra Deo, in its report presented to the Lok Sabha today said, “Katara has committed an act of grave misconduct as well as contempt of the Committee and of the House which has threatened to erode the credibility of Parliament as an institution.”
In April last year, Katara was allegedly caught at the Delhi airport trying to take a woman and a boy abroad on the passports of his wife and son.
Following which Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee had entrusted the Committee with the task of investigating the case.
The Committee said that making a fake diplomatic passport in his wife’’s name could have no motive other than to indulge in human trafficking.
The committee further pointed out that the conduct of Katara, an MP from Dahod (SC) seat from Gujarat, had brought disrepute and maligned the image of the entire fraternity of legislators.
Meanwhile, the BJP has already sought his expulsion for voting against the party whip during the July 22 trust vote. (ANI)
- BJP's Katara expelled from Lok Sabha - Oct 21, 2008
- Stormy scenes in parliament over CBI 'misuse', Orissa violence (Roundup) - Oct 21, 2008
- Congress MP who probed cash-for-votes scam wants deeper inquiry (Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Time line of cash-for-vote scandal - Mar 17, 2011
- BJP to move privilege motion against PM - Mar 18, 2011
- Congress MP breaks down in Lok Sabha over Gujarat police action - May 02, 2012
- Go Manmohan, says opposition after WikiLeaks expose (Intro-Roundup) - Mar 17, 2011
- Congress MP breaks down over Gujarat police action (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Bansal accuses Joshi of stifling majority view in 2G report - May 02, 2011
- My 'cash for votes' report not a closed chapter: K.C. Deo - Mar 17, 2011
- Discussion on cash-for-votes scam as important as Finance Bill: Jaitley - Mar 22, 2011
- BJP to serve breach of privilege notice against PM - Mar 21, 2011
- Wikileaks' leaks: Quotable Quotes - Mar 17, 2011
- No prima facie evidence against Amar Singh: K.C. Deo - Jul 19, 2011
- Supreme Court asks for 'cash for votes' probe details - May 02, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, chandra, contempt, delhi airport, deo, diplomatic passport, disrepute, expulsion, gujarat, human trafficking, katara, kishore, legislators, Lok Sabha, New Delhi, party whip, passports, somnath chatterjee, trust vote