LHC directs Pak Govt to reply to plea against US drone attacks by May 5April 27th, 2011 - 5:21 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, April 27(ANI): The Lahore High Court has granted additional time to the Pakistan Government for filing a reply to a petition seeking directions to the government to stop US drone attacks in the country’s tribal areas.
Barrister Iqbal Jaffree filed the petition against US drone attacks inside Pakistani territory and the government’s silence on the matter.
He criticised the Pakistani rulers for their callousness towards the national interests, and alleged that they were enjoying a lavish lifestyle and selling the sovereignty of the country only to prolong their rule with the blessings of the United States.
Jaffree requested the court to ask the Pakistan Government for a comprehensive report about an agreement/treaty with the US and Blackwater, if any, with respect to the drone campaign.
The petitioner further said that the government should also furnish the number of drone attacks and the number of persons killed in the strikes.
He also requested the court to direct Pakistani rulers to disclose the details of their assets as well, as they had pledged national sovereignty to the US for the sake of personal gains.
The Deputy Attorney General (DAG) requested Justice Chaudhry Iftikhar Hussain to adjourn the hearing, as the reply had not been furnished on behalf of the government, The Express Tribune reports.
The judge adjourned the hearing till May 5, and directed the DAG to ensure the submission of reply by that date. (ANI)
- LHC grants additional time to Pak Govt to reply about foreigners in Punjab - Apr 27, 2011
- Court issues notice to Pak Govt on application against 'special facilities in jail' for Davis - Mar 01, 2011
- Petition filed in Pak SC to use 'lie detecting machine' on Gilani, Awan - Oct 19, 2010
- LHC dismisses petition against US drone attacks - Jul 01, 2010
- Pak Home Ministry given a week's time to reply in Davis shootout victims' heirs case - Apr 12, 2011
- Lahore HC directs both Pak, Punjab govts to explain Davis' acquittal, departure - Mar 31, 2011
- Pak Foreign Ministry has no records on Davis' diplomatic immunity status: DAG - Mar 15, 2011
- Lahore HC CJ refuses to hear petition against Davis' release - Mar 18, 2011
- LHC urges Pak govt. to stop US drone attacks if without govt permission - Jun 30, 2010
- Lahore Court postpones hearing of petitions against Musharraf to Nov 1 - Oct 19, 2010
- Pak Govt likely to seek more time from court to decide on Davis' immunity status - Mar 13, 2011
- Lahore HC rejects application seeking Musharraf treason case adjournment - Mar 26, 2011
- Islamabad court seeks official response in Lodhi sacking - Jan 18, 2012
- Davis's release challenged in Pakistan court - Mar 17, 2011
- Lahore HC moved for acquiring complete details of foreign nationals in Pakistan - Feb 04, 2011
Tags: blessings, callousness, chaudhry, dag, deputy attorney general, drone, lahore high court, lavish lifestyle, national interests, national sovereignty, pak govt, pakistan government, pakistani territory, personal gains, petition, petitioner, rulers, sake, strikes, tribal areas