Lashkar as dangerous as Al Qaeda: USMay 27th, 2011 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 27 (IANS) Visiting US Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano Friday said the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorist organisation was as dangerous as the Al Qaeda.
“The LeT is ranked right up there with Al Qaeda and Al Qaeda-related groups as a terrorist organisation, one that seeks to harm people and take innocent lives. In the US perspective, the LeT is an organization of the same ranking as the Al Qaeda-related groups,” Napolitano said here at a joint press conference with Home Minister P. Chidambaram.
Napolitano is in New Delhi for the first India-US homeland security dialogue aimed at enhancing anti-terror cooperation between the two countries.
Earlier she had a meeting with Chidambaram with the two sides identifying six “critical” areas for mutual cooperation on internal security.
These, Napolitano said, are supplying technology and equipment to fight security threats, cooperation in border and maritime security, mega city policing, financial fraud and counterfeiting, cyber security and criminal infrastructure, training and making of police personnel.
Chidambaram said he had a “good” meeting with his US counterpart and the second round of the dialogue would be held next year after “a lot of work would have been done” by the two sides.
Napolitani said she appreciated the partnership “we have established”.
“This provides the forum for our two countries to strengthen our strategic ties. We face a common threat and we must prepare a common approach,” the US official said.
- India, US to boost security cooperation (Roundup) - May 27, 2011
- In security talks with US, India terms Pakistan fragile state (Intro Roundup) - May 27, 2011
- US Homeland Security chief visits India (Lead, Changing dateline) - May 24, 2011
- LeT is a threat to US too, says official (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- 'LeT a threat both to India, US' - Jun 03, 2011
- India, US to begin internal security dialogue, talk terror - May 25, 2011
- India, US agree to foster closer security ties - May 27, 2011
- Top US official to meet Chidambaram - May 11, 2011
- India, US discuss homeland security dialogue - May 17, 2011
- US homeland secretary visiting India - May 24, 2011
- Terror tops India-US security dialogue Friday - May 26, 2011
- India, US launch internal security dialogue - May 27, 2011
- Napolitano refuses to comment on ISI's 26/11 involvement - May 27, 2011
- Is Al Qaeda focusing on small-scale attacks? - Oct 31, 2010
- India compliments US for 26/11 trial - May 27, 2011
Tags: al qaeda, critical areas, cyber security, financial fraud, home minister, homeland security, innocent lives, internal security, janet napolitano, lashkar e taiba, maritime security, mega city, mutual cooperation, New Delhi, p chidambaram, security dialogue, security threats, terrorist organisation, us counterpart, us homeland security