Landslides during China quake results in formation of 21 lakesMay 19th, 2008 - 1:15 pm ICT by admin
Beijing , May 19 (ANI): Massive landslides resulting from the strong earthquake of 7.8 magnitude last Monday in southwest China , have led to the formation of at least 21 lakes in various cities after land blocked the rivers flow. Water has been flowing over some of these blockages in Qingchuan county, but posed no danger.
Expert teams, comprising of at least two water conservancy specialists and 10 People’s Liberation Army personnel, have been deployed at each of these newly formed lakes to monitor the situation and evacuate the residents in case of any danger.
Preliminary monitoring stations have been set up near each lake, the China Daily quoted Sichuan vice-Governor Li Chengyun as telling media persons.
The government will evacuate people in the downstream areas of the lakes as soon as situation warrants, Li added.
The landslide blockages have been reported in Beichuan and Anxian counties in the city of Mianyang , Qingchuan county of Guangyuan , Mianzhu and Shifang cities of Deyang, and Pengzhou city near the provincial capital Chengdu .
The three lakes had more than 10 million cu m of water, and more than 20 million cu m of rocks slid into rivers after the quake and formed the lakes said an official with the headquarters for quake relief in Qingchuan.
Seven more landslide blockages were found in Beichuan county, about 160 km from the epicenter, Wenchuan. (ANI)
- 1.3 mln quake-hit Chinese to be shifted to higher grounds over the weekend - May 30, 2008
- Quake-caused lake bursts in China, no casualties reported - May 18, 2008
- China orders mass evacuation from 'quake lake' area - May 30, 2008
- Rain continues in Jammu, many trapped - Aug 05, 2012
- Rescuers hunt for 1,300 missing in China landslides - Aug 09, 2010
- China to turn quake-created lake into scenic spot - Jun 24, 2008
- Artificial lake forms in Himachal's Spiti, tourists evacuated - Jun 18, 2012
- China's largest quake lake shrinks as drainage picks up - Jun 10, 2008
- China prepares to drain swelling quake lake - May 27, 2008
- 127 die, 2,000 missing in China landslides (Third Lead) - Aug 08, 2010
- Pakistan team visiting Jammu Sunday - Feb 19, 2011
- Water level at Chinas quake lake likely to fall today - Jun 10, 2008
- Pakistan team to visit Jammu Sunday (Lead) - Feb 19, 2011
- China quake toll nears 56,000 - May 23, 2008
- Assam floods: Gogoi orders rescue of marooned - Jun 26, 2012
Tags: army personnel, blockages, chengdu, china daily, epicenter, expert teams, flow water, landslide, last monday, liberation army, massive landslides, media persons, provincial capital, quake relief, quake results, rivers flow, sichuan, situation warrants, southwest china, vice governor