Lahore women’s college students condemn ‘war on jeans’May 1st, 2009 - 2:47 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, May 1 (ANI): Students of Lahore’s Kinnaird College (KC) have expressed their ire over the implementation of a new dress code that includes them not wearing jeans.
Terming the ban as a ‘war on jeans’, college students said that it was an attack on their cultural diversity and freedom.
“I think it’s a bad idea to give in to the demands of terrorists. The administration should instead decrease activity outside college premises and boost security arrangements,” Anum, a second year student of the college was quoted, as saying.
“I believe it is a bad idea to act exactly how the extremists want us to. It will only encourage them to push us further and take pride in their success while we will lose by doing so,” The Daily Times quoted fourth-year student Saima, as saying.
Kinnaird College is one of the oldest women’s colleges in Pakistan. It imposed a strict dress code for the students fearing terror threats from the Taliban and other extremist groups.
A college official, however, denied that the dress code had anything to do with the terror threat. He said the college administration is only following a government notification on the issue. (ANI)
- Jeans, body hugging dresses banned in Lahore college fearing terror threat - Apr 30, 2009
- Lahore women's college bans jeans - Apr 30, 2009
- Bareilly College women teachers protest dress code - Oct 13, 2010
- Dental students go on strike over t-shirt tiff - Feb 02, 2011
- Dental student jumps to death - Oct 07, 2011
- Strike in India's oldest women's college - Jul 13, 2012
- Bhopal college bans female teachers from wearing western outfits - Dec 10, 2010
- Gilani was a quiet student: ex-teacher - Jul 12, 2011
- Pakistani girls appear in exam, find cash, phones missing - Jun 10, 2012
- No helmet, no petrol for two-wheelers in Bhopal - May 20, 2011
- Pak university to implement 'strict dress code' for girl students - Sep 26, 2010
- All Goa churches soon to follow dress code - Jul 15, 2011
- Scotsman has directly descended from African Eve - Jul 01, 2012
- For St Xavier's College, Obama visit 'once in a lifetime opportunity' - Nov 03, 2010
- Rajasthan colleges told to set up anti-ragging panels - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: bad idea, college administration, college students, cultural diversity, extremist groups, extremists, fourth year, government notification, kinnaird college, lahore, may 1, new dress, oldest women, premises, s college, saima, security arrangements, strict dress code, taliban, terror threat