Lahore High Court issues notice to Zardari over holding two officesMay 18th, 2010 - 1:57 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, May 18 (ANI): The Lahore High Court (LHC) has issued a notice to President Asif Ali Zardari over the legality of holding two offices of interest.
Hearing a petition filed by the Pakistan Lawyers Forum (PLF) challenging the right of Zardari to hold on to the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) chief’s post, the high court directed Zardari’s Principal Secretary to explain the legality of President dual posts.
“Since the president could not appear because of security reasons, the court asked his principal secretary to appear in court on May 25,” The Daily Times quoted PLF president A.K. Dogar, as saying.
Dogar said that though there was no constitutional bar on the President holding office in a political party, the Supreme Court had barred a president from holding a party post.”Our Supreme Court judges decided in 1993 that the president should be non-partisan. He should not involve himself in political battles. He should shun politics but here he is a party head, which is illegal,” he said.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has come out openly in favour of Zardari over the issue, saying there are no legal bar on holding two offices at a time.
President Zardari can keep two offices at a time and there is no constitutional or legal bar whatsoever, Gilani told media persons during a brief interaction here. (ANI)
- Zardari can hold two offices simultaneously: Pak Punjab Governor - Jun 22, 2010
- LHC rejects Govt. objections in Zardari 'dual office case' - Jun 22, 2010
- Lahore HC reserves verdict in Zardari dual office case - Mar 10, 2011
- Zardari's dual office legality challenged in Pak court - Nov 11, 2010
- Lahore high court restrains Zardari from politics - May 12, 2011
- Zardari's dual office case verdict will have far-reaching effects: LHC - Nov 25, 2010
- Lahore High Court forms special bench to hear Zardari's 'dual office' case - Oct 07, 2009
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- PPP nominates Shahabuddin for prime minister's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Another petition filed against 'corrupt' 'Mr. 10 per cent' Zardari in LHC - Oct 20, 2010
- Will resign if convicted: Gilani - Feb 12, 2012
- PPP nominates Makhdoom Shahbuddin as new PM - Jun 20, 2012
- Pakistan prime ministerial hopeful Makhdoom Shahabuddin - a brief profile - Jun 20, 2012
- Gilani convicted for contempt, opposition wants him out (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Ordinance to protect Gilani's actions challenged - Jun 26, 2012
Tags: asif ali zardari, dogar, favour, gilani, interaction, lawyers forum, lhc, media persons, pakistan, petition, political battles, ppp, prime minister, principal secretary, security reasons, supreme court judges, time president