Lahore HC seeks Pak Defence Ministry’s reply regarding Hafiz Saeed petitionMarch 30th, 2011 - 2:24 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Mar 30(ANI): The Lahore High Court has sought a reply from the Pakistan Defence Ministry on a petition of Jamat ud Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed seeking directions for the government to defend him before a US court in connection with the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
Saeed, his operational commander Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) chief Lt Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha, his predecessor Lt Gen (r) Nadeem Taj, ISI officials Major Sameer Ali and Major Iqbal are among those who have been summoned for appearing before the American court in a case filed by an injured US citizen and the heirs of four others, who were killed in the terror strike on November 26, 2008.
During the court proceedings, the Deputy Attorney General submitted a written reply on behalf of the Interior Ministry, stating that the ministry had nothing to do with providing a lawyer or legal assistance to anyone in the concerned lawsuit.
Upon this, the petitioner’s counsel argued that the issue might be related to the Defence Ministry, so a reply should be called from it, The News reports.
The judge accepted his plea, and has sought a reply from the Defence Ministry in this regard on April 9.
The petitioner had earlier stated that he was served with summons from United States district court on December 16, 2010, in connection with a case relating to the Mumbai attacks.
On December 31, 2010, the federal government had announced to defend other parties- including ISI head Lt-Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha- against the lawsuit, he added. Through his counsel AK Dogar, Saeed pleaded that he is a citizen of Pakistan and enjoys the same rights as any other Pakistani individual under Article 25 of the Constitution, therefore the government should also defend him in the same manner as it is protecting the ISI chief and other officials.
Saeed also said in his petition that he is the head of Jamat ud Dawa, a charitable organisation, and has no link with terrorist organisation Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT). (ANI)
- Pakistan unlikely to defend Hafiz Saeed in 26/11 US lawsuit - Jan 14, 2011
- JuD head Hafiz Saeed wants Pak Govt to defend him in US court in Mumbai attack case - Jan 13, 2011
- India, Israel behind US court summons against ISI chiefs, JuD leaders, claims Makki - Jan 19, 2011
- Pakistan to defend ISI officials in Mumbai attacks lawsuit filed in US court - Dec 31, 2010
- Hafiz Saeed seeks Pakistan government aid in Mumbai case - Jan 13, 2011
- Pakistan to contest US court notices to ISI officials - Dec 31, 2010
- US court summons ISI chiefs, LeT leaders in 2008 Mumbai terror attack case - Dec 23, 2010
- US court summons ISI chief in Mumbai terror case - Nov 24, 2010
- MQM criticises US court order against Pak intelligence personnel - Dec 26, 2010
- ISI chief won't appear in US court over Mumbai attack: Gilani (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Dragging ISI into Mumbai attack preposterous: Pak FO - Nov 26, 2010
- No decision on joining US lawsuit against ISI: Chidambaram - Jun 01, 2011
- Don't drag ISI into 26/11 trial, says Pakistan - Nov 25, 2010
- ISI chief's tenure to be extended: Pak Defence Minister - Mar 12, 2011
- ISI has political wing, admits minister - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: charitable organisation, counsel argued that, court proceedings, defence ministry, deputy attorney general, dogar, hafiz muhammad, inter services, isi chief, lahore high court, nadeem, operational commander, pakistan defence, pasha, rehman, saeed, shuja, states district court, terror attacks, united states district