Lack of evidence helped Saeed walk freeJune 7th, 2009 - 5:04 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Jun.7 (ANI): The Pakistan government did not provide solid evidence to prove Jamaat-ud-Daawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed was involved in the November 2008 Mumbai attack, following which he was aquitted by the Lahore High Court, it has been learnt.
The Lahore High Court has released the detailed judgement of the detention of JuD leaders Saeed and Colonel (retired) Nazir Ahmad,The Daily Times reports.
According to the judgment, the government’s decision to detain the JuD leaders was not based on solid evidence and the material provided by the government against them was incorrect and even prepared after their detention.
The Lahore High Court bench observed that the government had no evidence that Saeed and Nazir had any links with Al Qaeda or any other terrorist organization.
It also observed that not a single document was tabled before it that could prove that JuD leaders were involved in the 26/11 incident.
A full bench of the Lahore High Court ordered the release from house arrest of Saeed, the prime accused of the November 2008 Mumbai attacks, on the basis of a habeas corpus petition filed by his lawyer. The high court said that it had not received substantial evidence to continue the detention of Saeed.
It also ordered the release of another Jamaat-ud-Dawa leader, Colonel (retired) Nazir Ahmad.
Saeed was put under house arrest on December 11 last year, and his release was made after five months and 20 days.
Pakistan Attorney General had earlier told the Lahore High Court, that the government had enough proof against Saeed to warrant extension of his arrest, but could not produce that evidence in court. He had also said that Saeed had undeniable links with the Al Qaeda. (ANI)
- Pak Punjab Govt. to pursue Saeed case provided federal Govt. gives 'fresh' evidence - Jul 17, 2009
- Pak SC to hear petitions challenging Saeed's acquittal today - Jul 13, 2009
- Pak government to file separate petition challenging Saeed's acquittal - Jul 05, 2009
- Pak refuses to arrest Saeed saying 'not enough proof' of his involvement in 26/11 - Jul 28, 2009
- Pak government's unsatisfactory record in Saeed's case helped JuD chief to walk free - Jun 06, 2009
- Pak has 'enough material' against JuD, but could not produce it in court - May 28, 2009
- Pak SC indefinitely adjourns trial of 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed - Aug 03, 2009
- Saeed's acquittal a 'very major setback' to Indo-Pak relations: Pak experts - Jun 03, 2009
- India's concerns over Saeed's acquittal 'misplaced': Pak - Jun 03, 2009
- India hands over fourth dossier on Mumbai terror attacks to Pak - Aug 01, 2009
- Hafiz Saeed seeks Pakistan government aid in Mumbai case - Jan 13, 2011
- India has given sufficient evidence to Pak to try Saeed: Chidamabaram - Aug 01, 2009
- Lahore High Court adjourns hearing of Hafiz Saeed's detention case - May 16, 2009
- Pak has enough 'material' to keep JuD chief Hafiz Saeed under custody - May 31, 2009
- India expresses disappointment over 26/11 mastermind Hafeez Saeed being let off - May 25, 2010
Tags: al qaeda, attorney general, colonel, court bench, evidence in court, five months, habeas corpus, hafiz, judgement, judgment, lack of evidence, lahore high court, lawyer, nazir ahmad, pakistan government, petition, release from house arrest, substantial evidence, terrorist organization