Khar to visit Afghanistan WednesdayJanuary 31st, 2012 - 11:20 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 31 (IANS) Pakistani Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar will pay a day-long visit to Afghanistan Wednesday to discuss bilateral issues focusing on peace and reconciliation in Afghanistan, officials said.
She will call on Afghan President Hamid Karzai and Foreign Minister Zalmai Rasoul, Xinhua reported.
The two sides are likely to end the deadlock in their joint peace efforts.
Afghanistan had suspended reconciliation efforts with Pakistan following the assassination of High Peace Council chairman Burhanuddin Rabbani in September.
Afghan officials alleged that the bomber, who killed Rabbani at his Kabul residence, came from Pakistan’s Quetta city as a Taliban messenger, and that the Pakistani intelligence was involved in the plot.
Islamabad has denied the charges.
The Afghan government then cancelled a planned visit by Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani to Kabul in October, bringing the peace efforts to a total halt.
But the two sides recently proposed visits of the top leadership to break the deadlock to an end, and as the first step, Gilani asked Khar to visit Kabul.
Gilani Tuesday told a visiting delegation of Afghan senators in Islamabad that peace in Afghanistan was critical for peace and security in Pakistan.
He said Pakistan always supported Karzai’s peace efforts and would continue to favour an Afghan-led process of reconciliation.
- Pakistan offers Afghanistan intelligence in Rabbani's killing - Oct 11, 2011
- Peaceful Afghanistan critical for Pakistan: Gilani - Feb 01, 2012
- Pakistani, Afghan, US envoys to meet for peace talks - Apr 25, 2012
- Gilani calls for Af-Pak cooperation in war on terror (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- You can't keep snakes in backyard, Clinton tells Pakistan - Oct 21, 2011
- It was cordial meeting with Karzai: Pakistan - Nov 13, 2011
- Gilani surprised by Karzai's aggressive posture - Nov 12, 2011
- Cameron offers help to Pakistan flood victims - Sep 17, 2011
- Pakistan, Afghanistan to strengthen ties - Jun 12, 2011
- Pakistan condemns Taliban attacks in Afghanistan - Apr 17, 2012
- Japan invites Pakistan for conference on Afghanistan - Jan 17, 2012
- Pakistan, Afghanistan to set up joint commission to promote reconciliation process - Apr 17, 2011
- Afghan peace delegation to arrive in Pakistan on Jan 5 - Jan 03, 2011
- Pakistan plays down Afghan-India strategic pact - Oct 06, 2011
- Can't push Pakistan to do more: Gilani - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: afghan government, afghan president hamid karzai, bilateral issues, burhanuddin rabbani, council chairman, deadlock, foreign minister, gilani, hamid karzai, islamabad, pakistani prime minister, peace and reconciliation, peace council, peace efforts, president hamid karzai, process of reconciliation, quetta city, rasoul, reconciliation efforts, xinhua