Kerry-Lugar bill for Pak aid postponed indefinitelyApril 3rd, 2009 - 3:48 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr. 3 (ANI): The hearing on the bipartisan Kerry-Lugar bill, which seeks 1.5 billion dollars of annual assistance to Pakistan for five years, has been postponed indefinitely.
The US Senate Committee on Foreign Relations had scheduled a full committee hearing on Wednesday, but it had to be postponed for technical reasons.
A congressional aide was quoted by the Dawn as saying, that the hearing has been postponed indefinitely.
“It will now be held after the April recess,” a source said.
The recess ends on April 20. This will further delay the passage of the bill, which has to be approved by the committee and a full Senate before being sent to the House of Representatives.
After its own hearing, the House will resend the bill to the Senate. The two chambers then have to reconcile their respective bills before it could be sent to President Barack Obama for signature.
According to the sources, by the time the bill is passed, it would be too late to include its recommendations in the budget for the next financial year.
The bill was originally introduced in the previous Congress as the Biden-Lugar bill, and was already approved by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
But the previous Congress completed its term before approving the bill, which now has to be reintroduced in the current Congress. (ANI)
- US holding back economic aid to Pakistan - Mar 03, 2011
- Biden-Lugar Bill has not died down: Haqqani - Jan 31, 2009
- Pakistan could lose $15 bn US economic aid - Jan 31, 2009
- US Senate approves enhanced aid bill for Pakistan worth 1.5 billion dollars - Jun 17, 2009
- US to renew demand for direct access to AQ Khan - Sep 26, 2010
- US approves 2.376 billion dollar aid package for Pakistan - Sep 22, 2009
- Landmark Biden-Lugar bill for US aid to Pak legally dead - Jan 31, 2009
- US signs agreements to provide 920 million dollar aid to Pakistan - Oct 02, 2009
- US mission to visit Pak to identify areas of fund utilization - Sep 26, 2009
- US senators confident of 'true partnership' with India - Dec 01, 2011
- US considering Pak's reservations on Kerry Lugar Bill: Biden - Oct 09, 2009
- Kerry vows to increase economic aid to Pakistan - Mar 27, 2009
- Kerry-Lugar bill tabled in US House of Representatives - Sep 26, 2009
- Pak senators say Kerry-Lugar Bill targets nuke arsenal - Oct 03, 2009
- Kerry calls for tight check on Pak non-military aid fearing rampant govt corruption - May 28, 2010
Tags: barack obama, biden, billion dollars, budget, chambers, committee hearing, congress, congressional aide, dawn, foreign relations committee, full committee, house of representatives, kerry, pakistan, recess ends, senate committee on foreign relations, senate foreign relations, senate foreign relations committee, signature, us senate committee