Kayani, top US official have short, crisp talkApril 26th, 2011 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 26 (IANS) Pakistan Army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani had a “short and crisp” talk with a top US military official during which they discussed ways to improve regional security.
International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) commander General David Petraeus arrived here Monday on his sixth visit, Dawn reported Tuesday.
The US embassy said General Petraeus was here to meet General Kayani and discuss “topics of mutual interest and ways to improve regional security”.
The media report described the meeting as “peculiar” since they did not meet at the General Headquarters and instead the meeting took place at Chaklala airbase.
A senior Pakistani military official was quoted as saying that General Petraeus had a “short and crisp” meeting with General Kayani.
General Petraeus’s visit was the fourth high profile US military official’s trip to Islamabad this month to meet the Pakistan Army chief.
On April 7, Centcom Commander Gen James Mattis had come to Islamabad.
He was followed by US Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Admiral Michael Mullen who said that “challenges in ties” persist and “not all is brightness and light”.
A day later Friday, US Army Chief of Staff, General Martin Dempsey, met his Pakistani counterpart.
- CENTCOM chief discusses US-Pak military cooperation with Wynne - Apr 08, 2011
- US general meets Pakistani army officials - Jul 14, 2011
- ISAF commander meets Pakistan Army chief - Jul 15, 2011
- US army chief meets Kayani - Apr 23, 2011
- Petraeus discusses 'ways to improve regional security' with Kayani - Apr 26, 2011
- US general meets Kayani, discusses Haqqani network - Sep 24, 2011
- Did Pakistan know Osama was to be killed, asks Dawn - May 03, 2011
- US generals to hold talks with Kayani - Mar 28, 2012
- Confusion persists on Pakistan role in Osama killing (Second Lead) - May 03, 2011
- CIA director calls ISI chief in backdrop of tie-threatening Davis issue standoff - Feb 26, 2011
- Pakistan Army chief leaves for talks in US - Mar 20, 2010
- 'Stable Pakistan can re-set ties with US' - Mar 18, 2012
- US, Pak military officials met secretly in Oman to resolve diplomatic crisis - Feb 25, 2011
- Pakistani army discuss security at emergency meet - Sep 25, 2011
- Army to provide security to Mansoor Ijaz - Jan 13, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,