Kayani tells Mullen US drone attacks undermining war on terrorApril 21st, 2011 - 1:58 pm ICT by ANI
Rawalpindi, April 21(ANI): Pakistan Army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has told the US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman, Admiral Mike Mullen, that US drone attacks in Pakistan’s tribal areas are undermining the ongoing war on terror.
Mullen called on Kayani on Wednesday, and “lauded the sacrifices and efforts of People of Pakistan and its security forces and reassured that security ties will not be allowed to unravel between the two armed forces,” the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) said in a statement.
“The COAS and CJCS acknowledged that evolving Pak-US strategic relation was important for the achievement of mutual long term objectives of comprehensive security of both the countries,” it added.
Kayani told the visiting US military officer that drone attacks in Pakistan’s tribal areas spark public anger, turning locals against the war against terrorism.
“The COAS reinforced Government’s stance on drone strikes and emphasized that these not only undermine our national effort against terrorism but turn public support against our efforts, which remains the key to success,” the statement said.
“The COAS highlighted that Pakistan Army’s ongoing operations are a testimony of our national resolve to defeat terrorism. He strongly rejected negative propaganda of Pakistan not doing enough and Pakistan Army’s lack of clarity on the way forward,” it added. (ANI)
- Tattered US, Pak ties move into 'stalemate' over drone attacks, counter-terrorism issues - Apr 23, 2011
- Kayani 'happy' with Army tribal region operations despite 'damning' US report - Apr 09, 2011
- Gilani dismisses Pakistani defence secretary (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Mullen arrives in Islamabad to iron out US-Pak differences - Apr 20, 2011
- Pakistan army chief visits Sri Lanka - Jan 22, 2011
- US objects to Americans' harassment in Pakistan - Aug 14, 2011
- Pak won't open any new front against militants in near future: Kayani - Nov 16, 2010
- Pakistan's top army officers discuss security situation - Jul 13, 2011
- Nod-and-wink approach to drones demeaning: Pakistani daily - May 21, 2011
- CENTCOM chief discusses US-Pak military cooperation with Wynne - Apr 08, 2011
- Building mutual trust key to defeating terror: Zardari - Apr 27, 2012
- Kayani's 'broken militants backbone' repartee to counter US' scathing war on terror censure - Apr 23, 2011
- US generals to hold talks with Kayani - Mar 28, 2012
- Pakistan's role in war on terror should not be doubted: Kayani - May 05, 2011
- Kayani vows to protect Pak tribesmen against all internal and external threats - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: admiral mike mullen, army chief, ashfaq, chief general, chiefs of staff, coas, comprehensive security, drone, inter services, joint chiefs of staff, national effort, national resolve, negative propaganda, ongoing operations, pakistan army, parvez, public anger, security ties, tribal areas, war against terrorism