Kayani demands halt to counterproductive US drone attacks in its territoryJanuary 3rd, 2009 - 2:42 pm ICT by ANI
Rawalpindi, Jan.3 (ANI): Taking strong note of the recent air strikes by US led international forces in Pakistan, Chief of Army Staff Gen. Ashfaq Kayani has asked the forces to cease the missile strikes.
During the Tripartite Commission meeting, consisting of military representatives from Afghanistan, Pakistan and international forces in Afghanistan, Kayani demanded that the strikes inside Pakistani territory should be immediately stopped, the Daily Times reported.
Kayani termed the strikes in the tribal areas of the country as counterproductive in the war against terrorism and extremism.
He said that many innocent people were being killed in the strikes, giving rise to extremism in the area.
The international forces stationed near the Pakistan-Afghan border recently launched a strike inside Pakistans territory, which it (international forces) claimed was aimed to root out the Taliban and other militants operating in the area.
In the meeting, Kayani also stressed on the need for increased intelligence sharing among forces operating in the region. (ANI)
- No joint anti-terror operation with US: Pakistan - Aug 18, 2012
- Pakistan, ISAF discuss border coordination - May 13, 2012
- Building mutual trust key to defeating terror: Zardari - Apr 27, 2012
- ISAF commander meets Pakistan Army chief - Jul 15, 2011
- Pak, Afghanistan and NATO military chiefs review security situation in tribal areas - Dec 30, 2009
- 'Talibanised' Afghanistan not in Pakistan's interest: Kayani - Feb 02, 2010
- Army to quit Waziristan if tribals cooperate: Kayani (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- NATO commander meets Pakistan army chief - Sep 10, 2011
- 'Under fire' Kayani says 'terror sanctuaries' harboured in Afghanistan, not Pakistan - Aug 12, 2010
- Pak F-16 fighter jets can't target US drones: Rehman Malik - Apr 18, 2011
- ISAF commander to visit Pakistan Thursday - Aug 02, 2012
- Stability in Afghanistan significant for Pakistan: Gilani - Sep 17, 2010
- U.S. drone strikes kill 6 suspected militants in Pakistan - Apr 13, 2011
- Kayani vows to protect Pak tribesmen against all internal and external threats - Apr 15, 2011
- Kayani tells Mullen US drone attacks undermining war on terror - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: afghan border, afghanistan pakistan, air strikes, army staff, ashfaq, chief of army, drone, intelligence, military representatives, missile, pakistani territory, taliban, tribal areas, tripartite commission, war against terrorism