Karzai reaches Pakistan for two-day visitJune 10th, 2011 - 4:38 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 10 (IANS) Afghan President Hamid Karzai arrived here Friday on a two-day visit to Pakistan to discuss the reconciliation process after foreign troops withdraw from his country, officials said.
Karzai will hold talks with his Pakistani counterpart Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani.
“President Karzai’s visit will contribute to further enhancing friendship and close cooperative ties between the two brotherly peoples and countries,” the Pakistan foreign ministry said.
Pakistani Sports Minister Shaukatullah received Karzai on his arrival. This is his second trip to Pakistan in 10 months.
The two countries would formally launch a Joint Commission on Reconciliation during the visit, said Omar Daudzai, the Afghan ambassador to Pakistan.
Karzai is being accompanied by a high-level delegation which includes the defence minister, interior minister, commerce minister and other top officials.
The Afghan ambassador said one of the objectives of the Joint Commission would be to pave the way for talks with the Taliban to end the war in Afghanistan.
The two nations would formally launch the Afghanistan-Pakistan Transit Trade Agreement.
Pakistan and Afghanistan have increased contacts in recent months in view of the phased withdrawal of US troops starting next month.
- Pakistan offers Afghanistan intelligence in Rabbani's killing - Oct 11, 2011
- Gilani-led Pakistani delegation in Kabul for talks - Apr 16, 2011
- Pakistan PM in Kabul for strategic talks (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Pakistan, Afghanistan to set up joint commission to promote reconciliation process - Apr 17, 2011
- Pakistani, Afghan, US envoys to meet for peace talks - Apr 25, 2012
- Islamabad hosts trilateral summit (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Imran Khan wants open border with Afghanistan - Feb 14, 2012
- Clinton warns of terrorists-pursuit on Afghan-Pakistan border - Oct 20, 2011
- Khar to visit Afghanistan Wednesday - Jan 31, 2012
- You can't keep snakes in backyard, Clinton tells Pakistan - Oct 21, 2011
- Gilani calls for Af-Pak cooperation in war on terror (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Gilani, Karzai discuss regional security - Jun 11, 2011
- Pakistani PM visits Afghanistan - Jul 19, 2012
- With Pakistan in mind, Delhi and Kabul seal strategic pact - Oct 05, 2011
- Pakistan gets 'facilitator' role in Afghan peace talks with Taliban - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: 10 months, afghan president hamid, afghan president hamid karzai, afghanistan pakistan, commerce minister, cooperative ties, country officials, defence minister, foreign ministry, gilani, hamid karzai, interior minister, level delegation, pakistani sports, president hamid karzai, second trip, transit trade, war in afghanistan, yousuf, zardari