Karzai, Petraeus ‘agree’ on Special Forces raids in AfghanistanNovember 19th, 2010 - 1:27 pm ICT by ANI
Kabul, Nov 19 (ANI): Afghan President Hamid Karzai and US commander General David Petraeus had a one-hour long meeting to discuss the former’s call for US forces to leave the country by 2011.
The two reached an agreement that Special Forces raids, which the president had earlier said should end, can continue in Afghanistan, the BBC reported.
Throughout their meeting, the president expressed his broad support for the NATO-led military strategy, it added.
His earlier criticism was a reflection of a “mature partnership,” his spokesman said, adding that Karzai and Petraeus were still on “good terms.”
But a particular sore point between the two has been the night raids carried out by Special Forces in the hunt for Taliban commanders, as Karzai previously said that the raids should end because they were unpopular with Afghans generally, the paper said.
But the US views them as a vital component in efforts to combat the insurgency, which is why they have tripled in number over the past year, it added.
Petraeus sought to reassure the President by explaining that Afghan forces take the lead in such raids, and that senior officials in the ministries of Interior and Defence take part in the planning stages.
He also said that civilian casualties as a result of the operations are small in number and have been falling. Karzai agreed - reluctantly - that the raids should continue, according to one observer.
Both Petraeus and Karzai have left Kabul to attend the NATO summit in Lisbon, where the two-day meeting will discuss plans for the handover of security in Afghanistan from the international to Afghan forces. (ANI)
- US "well-positioned" to begin withdrawing troops from Afghanistan in July: Gates - Mar 08, 2011
- Afghanistan seeks early security handover: Karzai - Mar 16, 2012
- Stop night raids, Karzai tells NATO - Dec 25, 2011
- Obama makes unannounced visit to Afghanistan - May 02, 2012
- NATO allowed Taliban commander into Kabul - Oct 15, 2010
- Clinton warns of terrorists-pursuit on Afghan-Pakistan border - Oct 20, 2011
- Gen. Petraeus says Afghan mission made impressive progress despite highest coalition death toll in 2010 - Jan 26, 2011
- US army general apologizes for Afghanistan air strike - Mar 03, 2011
- Gen. Petraeus facing resistance from Karzai over village defense forces - Jul 10, 2010
- US to offer Afghanistan wider role in Special Operations missions: WSJ - Nov 18, 2010
- Karzai urges US to reduce special 'night raid' operations in Afghanistan - Nov 15, 2010
- US Vice-President Biden in Afghanistan on two-day visit - Jan 11, 2011
- Gilani urges Karzai to dump US, team up with Pakistan, China: Report - Apr 27, 2011
- Taliban impostor was "groomed by ISI to delay, counter check us": NATO official - Nov 26, 2010
- 38 soldiers die in Afghan chopper crash (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,