Karachi violence toll climbs to 38August 18th, 2011 - 11:56 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 18 (IANS) The toll in the spiralling violence in the port city of Karachi has climbed to 38 with 22 people being killed since midnight, a media report said Thursday.
Violence gripped the city after Pakistan People’s Party former lawmaker Ahmed Karimdad was killed in the Lyari area Wednesday.
His killing had been preceded by five youngsters being gunned down in different parts of the city.
Geo TV reported that toll has now gone up to 38 in two days.
Police said four bullet-riddled bodies were recovered from Baldia Town. The dead had been kidnapped, tortured and later gunned down.
The dead included a fire station official, Liaquat Zafar Farooqui, who had been abducted with a colleague, Muhammad Irfan, from the Miran Naka fire station.
A note recovered from their pockets said “want war or peace or should we send more”.
Gunmen also opened fire at a police station and a grenade was hurled in Ranchor Line area.
While a body was found in Manghopir area, two bodies were recovered from Garden area.
Four bodies, which had been tortured, were found stuffed in gunny bags in another part of the city.
Over 300 people have died in violence in Karachi over the past few weeks.
- 10 more killed in Karachi violence, toll now 59 - Aug 19, 2011
- Four killed in Karachi violence - Jun 05, 2012
- Karachi violence toll climbs to 47 (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Benazir's former guard shot, target killings erupt in Karachi (Lead) - Jul 17, 2011
- Six killed in Karachi violence - Jul 24, 2011
- Karachi violence continues, toll rises to 77 (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- When two Pakistani ministers quarrelled - Aug 23, 2011
- Pakistan Army ready to restore peace in Karachi: Kayani - Aug 21, 2011
- 12 killed in Karachi shooting spree - Nov 10, 2010
- Six killed in Karachi's day of violence - May 21, 2012
- Two more killed in Karachi violence - Jun 16, 2012
- Military action in Karachi not long term solution: Gilani - Aug 22, 2011
- Zardari pulls up Sindh minister - Aug 24, 2011
- Stern action being taken in Karachi: Gilani - Aug 26, 2011
- MQM's former lawmaker among five shot dead in Karachi during last 24 hours - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: abducted, colleague, farooqui, fire station, geo tv, grenade, gunmen, gunny bags, irfan, islamabad, lawmaker, miran, muhammad, note recovered from, pakistan, peace, pockets, police station, violence in karachi, youngsters