Pak to sell New York’s Roosevelt Hotel to buy PIA planesFebruary 17th, 2008 - 10:35 am ICT by admin
Islamabad, Feb.17 (ANI): Pakistan’s Cabinet Committee on Privatisation (CCoP) has directed the country’s Privatisation Commission (PC) to consider the sale of the Roosevelt Hotel in New York so that more planes can be bought for Pakistan International Airlines (PIA), its international carrier.
Sources said the committee has asked the Privatisation Commission to approach Citibank, which is the financial adviser to disinvest Roosevelt Hotel, and to “maximise the proceeds” for the transaction so that Pakistan International Airlines could buy new aircraft.
The financial adviser, according to a Dawn report, would now have to come up with new details to privatise the hotel otherwise it would not be put up for sale in the near future.
Caretaker Prime Minister Mohammedmian Soomro chaired the meeting.
When contacted PIA chairman Zafar Ahmad Khan told Dawn that he could not say anything about the price of the hotel and that it was to be determined and decided by the Privatisation Commission.
Khan said the PIA wanted to purchase new aircraft by selling the Roosevelt Hotel and that the objective was to reduce the financial difficulties of the corporation. (ANI)
- Pakistani airline grounds 10 planes - Nov 14, 2011
- PIA staffers to stage nationwide protests - Nov 11, 2011
- Pakistani airline sacks its most expensive employee - Jul 11, 2012
- Come up with new business plan: Gilani to PIA - Dec 30, 2011
- Pakistan International Airlines under Rs.1.1 trillion debt - Nov 23, 2010
- PIA flight full, so two get seats in loo instead - Feb 15, 2012
- Rs.500,000 salary for 150 PIA officials - Sep 15, 2011
- Mid-air collision averted in Pakistan - Apr 20, 2011
- Pakistani plane diverted as man suffers stroke - Jun 12, 2011
- Pakistani hurt as flight hits turbulence - Aug 13, 2011
- Business as usual unacceptable, Gilani warns PIA - Nov 04, 2011
- Pakistani plane makes emergency landing - May 13, 2011
- Pakistani airline strike disrupts 120 flights - Feb 10, 2011
- Pakistani dies of heart attack on plane - Apr 13, 2012
- Dog scare at Pakistani Kashmir airport! - Jan 11, 2012
Tags: ahmad khan, cabinet committee, caretaker, ccop, citibank, dawn, financial adviser, financial difficulties, hotel in new york, international carrier, new aircraft, new details, pakistan international airlines, planes, prime minister, privatisation commission, proceeds, roosevelt hotel in new york, soomro, zafar