Judicial remand for Pakistan ex-ministerNovember 16th, 2010 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
Lahore, Nov 16 (IANS) Former Pakistani minister of state for defence Major (retd) Habibullah Warraich has been sent to judicial remand by a court here on charges of embezzling Rs.1.68 billion from the National Insurance Corporation (NIC).
Judicial Magistrate Irfan Basra passed the order Monday, the News International reported.
Warraich, who was a minister during the rule of military dictator General Pervez Musharraf, was accused of purchasing hundreds of acres of government land at Rs.200,000 per acre and then selling it to the NIC at Rs.2,200,000 per acre. This caused a loss of Rs.1.68 billion to the national exchequer.
The former minister had also taken a bank loan of Rs.550,000,000 and defaulted on the repayment.
- Haryana officers booked for loss to state - May 21, 2012
- Insurance scam probe in Pakistan turns into personal feud - Feb 17, 2011
- Karnataka Lokayukta Patil resigns over housing site row - Sep 19, 2011
- 166 booked in Pakistan for Rs.30bn tax evasion - Dec 24, 2010
- Bail plea of 2G accused rejected - Feb 25, 2011
- Bengal moves to recover WBIDC loans - Aug 07, 2012
- Raja goes to Tihar Jail, to get homecooked food (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Dhumal announces sops on I-Day - Aug 15, 2012
- Pakistan ministers not paying income tax - Sep 27, 2010
- Bail plea of 2G accused rejected (Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Balwa sent to Tihar Jail till March 3 - Feb 18, 2011
- Dhumal in please-all mode in election year (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Mar 03, 2012
- CBI charge sheet against Uttar Pradesh ex-minister - May 31, 2012
- New Delhi property circle rates - Oct 31, 2011
- Himachal Pradesh mulls action against winemaker - Apr 03, 2011
Tags: acre, bank loan, general pervez musharraf, government land, insurance, judicial magistrate, judicial remand, lahore, military dictator, minister of state, national insurance corporation, news international, pakistan, pervez musharraf, rs 2, rs 200