JuD chiefs wife files petition challenging Hafiz Saeeds detentionMarch 6th, 2009 - 9:38 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Mar 6 (ANI): A Pakistani court on Friday directed authorities to respond within a week to a petition filed by Jamaat- ud- Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeeds wife, Memoona Saeed, challenging the governments decision to detain Saeed.
Justice Khurshid Anwar Bhinder of the Lahore High Court disposed of the petition on Wednesday and directed the Punjab home secretary to respond within one week to her plea.
The judge also said the authorities would face contempt of court proceedings if they failed to respond to the plea.
The petitioner submitted that the government detained her husband only to please the US and India without giving any valid reason.
Memoona said on December 12, 2008 the Lahore district coordination officer had issued detention orders for Hafizs detention with a note that the reasons would be mentioned later. But on January 10, the Punjab Home Department again issued two-month detention orders without giving any reason.
She claimed that Jamaatud Dawa was basically a social welfare organisation and had provided rehabilitation services to earthquake victims in Kashmir and NWFP.
A law officer of the provincial government opposed the petition and also requested the court to allow the Home Department one-month time to decide the representation of the petitioner.
The judge, however, did not accept the request and directed the Home Department to decide on the representation within one week. (ANI)
- Lahore High Court disposes off Hafiz Saeeds wifes petition - Mar 05, 2009
- JuD head Hafiz Saeed wants Pak Govt to defend him in US court in Mumbai attack case - Jan 13, 2011
- JuD chief Hafiz Saeed challenges his detention in Lahore High Court - Apr 05, 2009
- Pakistan unlikely to defend Hafiz Saeed in 26/11 US lawsuit - Jan 14, 2011
- Pak Punjab Govt has 'confidential evidence' against Saeed, withdraws case - Jul 14, 2009
- LHC grants additional time to Pak Govt to reply about foreigners in Punjab - Apr 27, 2011
- Lahore HC seeks Pak Defence Ministry's reply regarding Hafiz Saeed petition - Mar 30, 2011
- Lahore HC moved for acquiring complete details of foreign nationals in Pakistan - Feb 04, 2011
- Pak has enough 'material' to keep JuD chief Hafiz Saeed under custody - May 31, 2009
- Notice to government on plea to shield CBI against influence (Lead) - Dec 14, 2011
- Kin of Davis's victims missing, Pakistani court told - Mar 22, 2011
- Supreme Court upholds Hafiz Saeed's release from house arrest (Lead) - May 25, 2010
- Consider plea for CBI probe against Team Anna: Court (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- India, Israel behind US court summons against ISI chiefs, JuD leaders, claims Makki - Jan 19, 2011
- Court tells DDA to give flat to man waiting for 30 years (Lead) - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: chiefs, contempt of court, court proceedings, district coordination, earthquake victims, hafiz, home secretary, islamabad, jud, kashmir, lahore district, lahore high court, petition, petitioner, plea, provincial government, rehabilitation services, social welfare, valid reason, welfare organisation