Jolie urges people to avoid corruption ‘excuse’, donate to Pak flood relief workSeptember 9th, 2010 - 5:10 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Sept 9 (ANI): Angelina Jolie, the goodwill ambassador for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, has called on people to put aside corruption fears and contribute funds towards the ongoing flood relief operations in Pakistan.
“I don’t want some people to use it (corruption) as an excuse not to give assistance….”I have seen what they have done in the field. I’ve physically seen people assisted, so if you are nervous about giving money directly in one way, there are other ways to do it,” the Daily Times quoted Jolie, at the UN refugee agency’s Islamabad office, as saying.
The Hollywood actress, after visiting Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, declared, “I think the size of this disaster’s one that I have never seen the scale of.”
This was Jolie’s fourth visit to the country since she became a UNHCR envoy in 2001.
When asked if she would consider adopting a child from Pakistan, Jolie, who is known to adopt kids from different nations, said that she would not, because of religious sensitivities.
The death toll in the floods has reached over 1,700 people, whereas about eight million people are dependent on aid. Reportedly, many of them are going without food or water for days.The deluge has been stamped as one of Pakistan’s worst natural disasters causing heavy damage to the country’s infrastructure. (ANI)
- Angelina Jolie visits flood-hit Pakistan - Sep 07, 2010
- Pakistan repatriates over 3.7 mn Afghan refugees - Jan 04, 2012
- Jolie visits Syrian refugees in Turkey - Jun 18, 2011
- Actress Angelina Jolie urges assistance for Pakistan in aftermath of monsoon floods - Sep 01, 2010
- Angelina appeals for flood-hit Pakistan - Aug 18, 2010
- Jolie donates 100,000 dollars for Pak flood victims - Aug 19, 2010
- Angelina Jolie visits Tunisia-Libya border - Apr 06, 2011
- Angelina Jolie a loner in real life - Sep 09, 2010
- Actress Angelina Jolie condemns the Quran Burning plan - Sep 09, 2010
- Millions of Pakistanis still in need of post-flood assistance: UN - Jan 01, 2011
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
- Jolie visits flood-stricken Pakistan - Sep 07, 2010
- Angelina Jolie vows to help Pak flood victims - Aug 17, 2010
- UN chief calls for more aid to flooded Pakistan (Second Lead) - Aug 15, 2010
- Angelina Jolie visits Afghanistan to meet refugees - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: adopting a child, angelina jolie, corruption, death toll, deluge, disaster, excuse, fears, flood relief, floods, giving money, goodwill ambassador, high commissioner, hollywood actress, infrastructure, pakistan, refugee agency, relief operations, un high commissioner for refugees, worst natural disasters