Japan to help in Yangon city upgrade planAugust 23rd, 2012 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
Yangon, Aug 23 (IANS) The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) is drafting a 40-year Yangon City upgrading plan aimed at helping imoprove Myamnar’s backward former capital city, media reports said Thursday.
The 40-year draft plan, expected to be completed by 2013, includes upgrading the city’s drainage system, urban transportation, drinking water system, Thilawa Special Economic Zone and port terminals, the Myanmar Post Global quoted Yangon City Development Committee (YCDC) as saying, reported Xinhua.
According to the plan, only 60 percent of Yangon’s over six- million population can get enough water supply and more water sources are being needed.
Meanwhile, overpasses are being planned in some traffic junctions in a bid to ease traffic jams.
These traffic junctions include Hledan, Shwegondaing, Tarmwe and Bayintnaung where traffic congestion occurs almost all the day. Construction of overpasses at Hledan and Bayintnaung has already begun.
The plan also covers upgrading port terminals at Yangon Port in line with international standards in collaboration with private entrepreneurs under joint-venture basis or build-operate-transfer (BOT) system.
With a population of over six million and an area of 795 sq km, Yangon city is demarcated as 45 townships, of which 33 represent the municipal area.
- Kochi now connected to Europe by ship - Nov 14, 2011
- Myanmar to introduce e-visa system - Feb 01, 2012
- Kochi connected to China via weekly cargo vessel - Dec 19, 2011
- Zambia seeks Indian investments in heath, mining - Oct 20, 2011
- Tamil Nadu approves second phase of outer ring road - Jan 23, 2012
- Sterlite-Leighton to build multipurpose berth at Paradip port - Jul 05, 2010
- Prime Minister to lay foundation stone of Chennai expressway - Jan 06, 2009
- PM inaugurates mega transhipment terminal in Kerala - Feb 11, 2011
- Myanmar to build two new international airports - Feb 20, 2012
- 14 airports to get new air surveillance technology - Feb 07, 2012
- PM to open container terminal in Kerala - Feb 06, 2011
- Indian IT experts devise technique to fight deadly bots - May 17, 2012
- Heavy rains hit Delhi again (Lead) - Sep 16, 2011
- Myanmar outlines monetary development master plan - Aug 03, 2012
- Bangalore gets its first, country's longest elevated expressway - Jan 22, 2010
Tags: development committee, draft plan, drainage system, drinking water system, international cooperation agency, japan international cooperation agency, jica, junctions, port terminals, private entrepreneurs, special economic zone, townships, traffic congestion, traffic jams, urban transportation, venture basis, water sources, water supply, xinhua, ycdc