Jailed Pakistani’s plea for release to be heard soonSeptember 6th, 2011 - 12:12 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 5 (IANS) The Delhi government Monday informed the Delhi High Court that the petition of a Pakistani national, who pleaded for his release after being lodged in Tihar jail over 17 years for plotting a terror act, will be considered by the Sentence Review Board (SRB).
Khalid Mehmood, a resident of Lahore, approached the court pleading that he was convicted under the provisions of the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities Act (TADA) by a lower court in 1996 for planning terrorist acts and possession of firearms.
“The petitioner has undergone actual imprisonment for over 17 years and 20 years with remission and so he deserves to be sympathetically considered for premature release from jail under the sentencing guidelines …passed by the Lt Governor of Delhi,” the petition said.
According to the guidelines, certain convicts are eligible to be considered for premature release after having served a sentence of 14 years, it said, adding Mehmood was convicted for planning the terror act but in fact he did not take part in any such incident.
Additional Standing Counsel Rajesh Mahajan, appearing for Delhi government, told Justice Mukta Gupta that the SRB is scheduled to hold its next meeting on Sep 9, and the jail authority will place the case of Mehmood, who was arrested at the age of 18, for consideration.
Following the lawyer’s submission, Justice Gupta adjourned the matter for Nov 28 for further hearing.
Mehmood was studying in class 11 at the time of his arrest Feb 17, 1994 from Gokalpuri area of east Delhi.
- Court seeks government response on Pak national's release - May 31, 2011
- Plea on jailed Kerala ex-minister's early release declined (Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- Governments get notice on Afzal Guru's transfer plea - Feb 11, 2011
- Hearing Dec 9 on plea against Kerala politician's early release - Nov 11, 2011
- Supreme Court seeks status of Afzal Guru mercy plea (Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- SC slams Punjab government for 'drama' in Rajoana case - Mar 29, 2012
- Not linked to 1993 Mumbai blasts, Sanjay Dutt tells SC - Aug 14, 2012
- Hawara, four held guilty for Delhi twin blasts in 2005 (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- CWG scam: High Court declines bail to Reddy - May 15, 2012
- Plot to abduct Sachin: Eight-year jail terms for six (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- Notice to Delhi government on parole rules - Jul 23, 2011
- President has authority to refuse remission to some convicts, rules Pak Supreme Court - Aug 12, 2010
- Plea against Kerala politician's early release declined - Dec 13, 2011
- 1993 Mumbai blasts case: Supreme Court to hear final hearing in January 2011 - Jul 26, 2010
- Pakistani president pardons Indian jailed for 27 years - Mar 27, 2011
Tags: 17 years, convicts, delhi government, delhi high court, disruptive activities, east delhi, firearms, gupta, imprisonment, khalid mehmood, lt governor, mahajan, mukta, New Delhi, petitioner, plea, premature release, remission, sentencing guidelines, terrorist acts