Italian MP wants international probe into Shahzad’s murderJune 16th, 2011 - 12:15 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, June 16 (IANS/AKI) An Italian lawmaker has demanded an international investigation into the killing of Pakistani journalist Saleem Shahzad.
Shahzad’s battered body was found May 31 in a canal in Punjab province’s Mandi Bahauddin district, 150 km from Islamabad, two days after he went missing in the capital while on his way to attend a TV show.
He worked for Hong Kong-based Asia Times Online as well as Italian news agency AKI.
Italian MP Giuseppe Giulietti said: “This is a scandal and an intolerable outrage.”
“We intend to demand an international investigation to shed light on this case and will be making this request to Italy’s foreign minister,” he said.
“We owe this to Saleem, who was our eyes and ears in Pakistan, revealing to us realities that otherwise we would not have been aware of.”
Pakistan announced early Thursday the formation of a judicial commission headed by a Supreme Court judge to investigate the murder, Dawn News said.
The government’s earlier decision to hand over the probe to a judge from an Islamic sharia court was a “cover-up”, the MP alleged.
“This is domestic justice aimed at concealing the individuals responsible for this murder,” he said.
- Abducted Pakistani journalist tortured and killed (Intro Night Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Pakistan apex court judge to head Shahzad killing probe - Jun 16, 2011
- Family waits for report on Pakistani journalist's killing - Nov 30, 2011
- Cops squabble over jurisdiction in Shahzad probe - Jun 02, 2011
- Shahzad's widow to collect journalism prize - Jul 08, 2011
- Pakistan reporter was not supposed to be killed: Report - Sep 30, 2011
- Pakistan appoints official to probe journalist's death - Jun 14, 2011
- Shahzad was killed for reporting truth: Pakistani daily - Jun 01, 2011
- `Pakistani journalist's killers wanted to set an example' - Jun 04, 2011
- Pakistan human rights commission urges release of missing journalist - May 31, 2011
- Slain Pakistani reporter to be honoured in US - May 10, 2012
- Probe complete in Pakistani journalist's killing - Dec 14, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani journalist tortured, killed: Official (Night Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Pakistani journalist goes missing - May 30, 2011
- Pakistani journalist's second autopsy conducted - Jun 01, 2011
Tags: asia times, dawn news, eyes and ears, foreign minister, giulietti, giuseppe, international investigation, islamabad, islamic sharia, italian mp, italian news agency, judicial commission, lawmaker, mandi bahauddin, outrage, pakistani journalist, punjab province, shahzad, sharia court, supreme court judge