Island discovered off Pakistan’s Balochistan provinceNovember 27th, 2010 - 1:09 am ICT by IANS
By Awais Saleem
Islamabad, Nov 26 (IANS) Fishermen in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province have discovered a three kilometre-long island in the Arabian Sea after their boats ran aground on it.
At least 100 fishing boats were stranded after their vessels hit the island in the sea near Hangol town of Lasbela district.
President of the Fisher Folk Forum, Muhammad Ali Shah, said: “The island emerged out of nowhere in the sea and the fishermen were stuck in mud there.” “More than 100 fishing boats that were stranded in the sea for several days had to be rescued with the help of authorities,” he said Friday.
Shah said “the same island had emerged at the same spot around 12 years ago before vanishing in the sea again after four months”.
Local people seem to believe it as a “divine show of power” and are giving donations at a local shrine to ward-off any untoward incident.
Hangol is part of the Gwadar coastline in Balochistan province, about 300 km west of the Pakistani port city of Karachi. Majority of the local population belong to the lower income group and fishing is the only means of livelihood.
The fishermen go in the deep sea and remain stationed there for several weeks.
- Kerala fishermen's daily tryst with danger - Feb 20, 2012
- Foreign ships plying close to Indian coast warned - Mar 13, 2012
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Four fishing boats sink off Maharashtra town, 18 missing - Sep 03, 2011
- 18 Indian fishermen rescued by Sri Lankan navy - Dec 22, 2011
- Boat carrying thirteen fishermen goes missing off south China - May 28, 2010
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- One killed in Pakistan hotel bombing (Lead) - Jul 31, 2011
- India's coastal security plan yet to take off (Three years after 26/11) - Nov 25, 2011
- Ten children die in Brazilian boat sinking - Sep 14, 2010
- No clue of missing fishermen or hit and run ship - Mar 02, 2012
- Here's the catch on Kerala's fishing industry (To go with 'Kerala fishermen's daily tryst with danger') - Feb 20, 2012
- Beijing-Manila row over island - May 08, 2012
- Over 60, 000 people evacuated in Pak as 'Phet' approaches - Jun 04, 2010
- Pakistan says no to US drone strikes in Balochistan - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,