Islamic court orders man to divorce 82 of his 86 wives or die!August 22nd, 2008 - 6:22 pm ICT by ANI
Johannesburg, Aug 22 (ANI): Nigeria’’s Islamic authority has told an 84-year-old man who has 86 wives to choose only four and repent within three days or else he will be sentenced to death, according to reports.
The BBC said that Mohammed Bello Abubakar, a former teacher and preacher, could face the death penalty under Sharia law, which was reintroduced to the Muslim-majority Niger State, North-West Nigeria, in 2000.
Nigerian media and the BBC interviewed Abubakar two weeks ago, when he claimed there was no punishment in the Qu”ran for having more than four wives.
However, the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) last week blasted Abubakar, who is considered a heretic for his claims of being able to speak directly to Allah.
NSCIA Secretary-General Dr Abdul-Lateef Adegbite told Nigerian newspaper Punch that the NSCIA’’s President-General and Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa”ad Abubakar, was embarrassed by Abubakar’’s behaviour.
“The Sultan urged Muslims to ignore Bello Abubakar’’s brazen disregard of the Sharia, which clearly limits a man to four wives only,” 24.com quoted him, as saying.
Abubakar, who has 170 children, also told the BBC that Allah had given him to power to control his 86 wives. (ANI)
- Thousands flee after clashes between Nigerian security forces and militants - Dec 29, 2011
- Nigerian man with 86 wives agrees to divorce 82 - Sep 01, 2008
- Nigerian Man Has 107 Wives - May 13, 2011
- Nigerian man with 86 wives finally slapped with fatwa - Oct 24, 2008
- Radical Islamist sect claims responsibility for Nigeria church attacks - Dec 29, 2010
- Islamic court in Nigeria bans Twitter for debating on amputation - Mar 25, 2010
- Man marries 107 women, fathers 185 kids - May 13, 2011
- Indian among 160 killed in Nigeria terror attack (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Egypt presidential hopeful wants Sharia law-based constitution - May 14, 2012
- Easter bomb blast kills at least 38 in Kaduna, Nigeria - Apr 10, 2012
- U.S. warns of terrorist attacks in Nigerian capital - Nov 07, 2011
- Nigeria attracts enterprising Indians despite terror - Feb 05, 2012
- Politician shot dead in Nigeria - May 26, 2012
- British Muslim women don't mind being second wives - Mar 11, 2012
- Nigerian man with 86 wives intends to marry more! - Sep 02, 2008