Islamabad jewellers see decline in Valentine’s Day salesFebruary 9th, 2011 - 2:58 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 9 (IANS) Jewellery seems to have lost its sheen as a Valentine’s Day gift of love as jewellers here are seeing a decline in sales.Youngsters rushing to find the perfect present for their loved one are making a beeline for gift shops and high-end accessories retailers, leading to a boom in their sales.
For jewellers, who earlier cashed in on Valentine’s Day sales, are witnessing a gradual decline in business related to the day over the past couple of years.
“As the prices of gold have gone up significantly, sales during Valentine’s Day are nearing to none,” the Express Tribune daily Wednesday quoted Aftab Ahmed of Hira’s Jewellery as saying.
He said that five years ago his Valentine’s Day collection would get sold out completely.
“But now there is no market.”
The store is known for accurately replicating Chopard, Cartier and Bvlgari designs.
“We do not copy for the sake of copying. The problem is that we do not have young designers competing in the market, and as a result our clients want us to replicate designs of international designers,” said Ahmed.
Sajid Ahmed of Gold ‘n’ Craft said as gold prices have reached Rs.46,000 per 12.5 grams, it has become “almost impossible” for the youth to afford fine jewellery.
“Around five years ago, we were able to create and sell items between Rs.15,000 to Rs.25,000…But now just the costs are so outrageously high that no one is willing to buy fine jewellery,” Sajid was quoted as saying.
Though there has been a dip in gold jewellery sales, the sale of silver jewellery has shot up.
Youngsters, who don’t have a big budget, are going for silver jewellery embellished with rubies, emeralds and sapphires as an economical alternative.
Sajjid Mahmood of Kundan Point, a store that deals in silver jewellery, said: “The higher prices of gold have boosted our business.”
“People prefer to buy our products on Valentine’s Day as it is of the same quality but much cheaper.”
- High prices behind weak demand for diamonds this V-Day - Feb 13, 2012
- Cheer for buyers as gold prices dip on Akshaya Tritiya (Roundup) - May 06, 2011
- Gold sales up on Dhanteras despite high prices - Oct 24, 2011
- Shop till you drop in Kolkata! It's Durga Puja time - Oct 11, 2010
- Gold prices dip an added draw to Akshaya Tritiya buyers (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Gold traders on Akshaya Tritiya high - Apr 23, 2012
- Slip in gold prices an added incentive to buyers this Akshaya Tritiya - May 06, 2011
- Diwali glitter in Mumbai despite inflation! - Oct 24, 2011
- British Indian woos young professionals with trendy jewellery - Oct 02, 2011
- Gitanjali group inaugurates first gold-dispensing ATM - Oct 22, 2011
- Glowing times for online jewellery retailers - Apr 06, 2012
- Shubh Jewellers targets southern India with 550 gold outlets - Dec 15, 2011
- India again saw gold rush despite robust stock markets (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 28, 2010
- Soaring gold price dampens consumer sentiment - Aug 20, 2011
- On Dhanteras, it's gold that glitters in Delhi - Oct 15, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,