ISI now claims it helped US locate OsamaApril 28th, 2012 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 28 (IANS) Nearly a year after Osama bin Laden was killed in his Abbottabad home, Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) claims it helped US locate the Al Qaeda chief’s high-walled hideout.
Osama was shot dead May 2 last year at his Abbottabad house by US commandos, straining ties between Washington and Islamabad.
“The lead and the information actually came from us,” a senior ISI official told the Washington Post.
Washington is sceptical about the ISI claim.
After US stealth choppers flew in to Osama’s hideout, Pakistani military said it knew nothing about his six-year presence in the garrison town.
On Friday, two ISI officials spoke to the daily.
One noted that the ISI’s new head, Lt. Gen. Zaheer ul-Islam, is taking a “proactive” approach to public relations to improve the international image of spy service.
“Any hit on Al Qaeda anywhere in the world has happened with our help,” the official was quoted as saying.
The second official said the ISI provided the CIA with a cellphone number that eventually led to an Al Qaeda courier Abu Ahmed al-Kuwaiti.
The officials maintained that in November 2010 they gave the number to the CIA, along with information that it was last detected in Abbottabad, the media report said.
They claimed that they didn’t know the number was of an Al Qaeda courier. The CIA analysts, however did and yet didn’t relay that information back to the Pakistanis.
“They knew who the number belonged to,” the official said.
The other official described it as a “story of an extreme trust deficit and betrayal”.
- CIA held fake vaccination drive to get Osama family DNA - Jul 12, 2011
- New stealth drones flew into Pakistan to see Osama house - May 18, 2011
- Shots at chest, forehead killed Obama, US looks at seized material (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Osama's courier was Arshad Khan to neighbours: NYT - May 08, 2011
- CIA team gets permission to see Osama compound - May 27, 2011
- Taliban co-founder tipped off US on Osama hideout: Report - May 30, 2011
- Courier who led US to Osama was a Kuwaiti (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Al Qaeda had planned major attacks in Pakistan: CIA - Apr 27, 2012
- `Osama dead but Al Qaeda still dangerous' (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Al Qaeda determined to make 'new history': report - Apr 30, 2012
- US officials justify Osama killing; put more on terrorist watch - May 05, 2011
- ISI puts conditions to CIA for improving relations - May 22, 2011
- Pakistan provided information on Osama courier, claims governor - May 05, 2011
- Killing of Osama bin Laden has rehabilitated reputation of US Government, officials - May 04, 2011
- Was Osama protected by ISI? - May 05, 2011
Tags: ahmed, al qaeda, betrayal, cellphone number, choppers, cia analysts, commandos, garrison town, hideout, inter services, international image, isi, osama bin laden, pakistani military, pakistanis, proactive approach, trust deficit, ul islam, washington post, zaheer