Is arrested conman behind Pakistan blasts blamed on Sarabjit?December 17th, 2010 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
Panchkula (Haryana), Dec 17 (IANS) Is fraud accused Manjeet Singh Rattu the one actually behind the bombings in Pakistan for which Indian national Sarabjit Singh has been sentenced to death in that country? Sarabjit’s family is certain but police have refused comment. Sarabjit’s family Friday reiterated that Rattu was the ‘Manjeet Singh’ responsible for the blasts — the name under which Sarabjit has been convicted and sentenced.
Rattu, who was arrested by Panchkula police Thursday in a case of fraud registered here a few months back, was produced in the jam-packed court here Friday. He was sent to two-day police remand.
Meanwhile, Sarabjit’s sister Dalbir Kaur and her lawyer Arvind Thakur reached the court and opposed the bail petition that was filed by Rattu.
“I had brought three photographs of Manjeet Singh, who is actually responsible for the blasts, and showed them to him (Rattu). He admitted that these were his photographs. The judge was very sympathetic towards us whereas Panchkula police were very arrogant,” Dalbir told IANS.
Sarabjit Singh’s lawyers and family members have repeatedly claimed that he is a victim of mistaken identity, and that the real Manjeet Singh was someone else.
Thakur told IANS: “We will again strongly oppose the bail petition of Rattu during the next hearing. We are sure that he is the same Manjeet Singh who is responsible for the bombings in Pakistan. We are also coordinating with Sarabjit’s Pakistani lawyer and trying to get more proofs against him (Rattu).”
However, Panchkula police are not so sure of the claims.
“Our investigation is under process and it is too early to comment anything about this issue,” district police chief Maneesh Chaudhary told IANS.
Rattu is a high-profile fraudster and he has duped many people of Punjab of lakhs of rupees during the last few years. Police sources said that he also has contacts with various banned terrorist outfits of Punjab.
Sarabjit, who is languishing in Pakistan jails for over 19 years, has been convicted of staging four bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan in 1990 that claimed 14 lives. He is currently lodged in Kot Lakhpat jail in Lahore, facing death sentence.
His family claims that he crossed into Pakistan inadvertently in a drunken stupor in August 1990 and was arrested.
- The 'real' Sarabjit has been arrested, claims family - Dec 16, 2010
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- Sarabjit's kin in Ajmer, seek his release - Apr 08, 2012
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
Tags: arvind, blasts, bombings, district police, family members, fraud, fraudster, high profile, kaur, lakhs, mistaken identity, panchkula, petition, police sources, punjab, rupees, sarabjit singh, terrorist outfits, thakur, three photographs