Iran, Pakistan to finalise pipeline deal next weekMay 18th, 2009 - 3:38 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, May 18 (IANS) Iran and Pakistan will hold the last round of the Iran-Pakistan-India gas pipeline talks in Tehran next week, the special representative of Iran’s oil minister to the talks has said.
“A Pakistani delegation headed by Minister of Petroleum and Natural Resources Asim Hussain is to arrive in Tehran May 23 to finalise the Peace Pipeline deal based on the new price formula,” Hojjatollah Ghanimifard was quoted as saying by Mehr news agency.
Iran has suggested a new price formula which was approved by Pakistan’s cabinet April 10.
“The two sides are to set the date of signing the final contract in the meeting,” he added.
Pakistan will import as much as 750 million cubic feet of gas per day from Iran to meet its growing energy needs.
The Iran-Pakistan-India gas pipeline, also known as the IPI pipeline or the Peace Pipeline, is a proposed 2,775-km pipeline to deliver natural gas from Iran to Pakistan and India.
The project is expected to greatly benefit India and Pakistan, which do not have sufficient natural gas to meet their rapidly increasing domestic demand for energy.
The negotiations over the $7.4 billion pipeline project were initiated in 1994 but it faced repeated delays on concerns over security along the Pakistani route, pricing mechanisms and tensions between Pakistan and India.
- Gas from TAPI likely to flow in five years: Official - Aug 18, 2012
- Iran, India, Pakistan gas-pipeline talks likely to be held in January - Dec 07, 2009
- Iran to ask India for spurring tri-nation pipeline - Aug 27, 2012
- China likely to replace India in Iran-Pak gas pipeline project - Feb 06, 2010
- India quits Iran gas pipeline deal, says Pakistani diplomat - Sep 07, 2009
- Pak-Iran to sign gas pipeline deal next week - Jan 21, 2010
- India seeks cooperation of Iran in oil and gas sector - Oct 01, 2009
- Krishna to take up pipeline issue during Iran visit - May 13, 2010
- Pakistan to be supplied with 8 billion cubic metres of Iranian gas annually - May 29, 2009
- Iran, Pakistan to seal gas pipeline deal tomorrow - Jun 07, 2010
- Zardari, Manmohan may meet on sidelines on Turkmenistan summit this weekend - Dec 09, 2010
- India has proposed talks with Iran on gas pipeline - Aug 17, 2010
- IPI on backburner, India hopeful of TAPI by 2015 - Jan 07, 2011
- US asks Pak to pull out of Iran gas pipeline project to qualify for extensive assistance - Jan 14, 2010
- Pakistan-Iran gas pipeline to be ready by 2012 - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: cubic feet, delegation, gas pipeline, hussain, india and pakistan, iran pakistan, mechanisms, mehr news agency, mehr news agency iran, natural gas, natural resources, negotiations, oil minister, pakistan india, peace pipeline, petroleum, pipeline project, tehran, tensions