Iran helped al Qaeda in terrorist attacks, reveals letterNovember 24th, 2008 - 2:50 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov.24 (ANI): Fresh links between Iran’’s Revolutionary Guards and al-Qaeda have been uncovered following interception of a letter from the terrorist leadership.
According to The Telegraph, the letter exposes the rising role of Saad bin Laden, son of the al-Qaeda leader, Osama, as an intermediary between the organisation and Iran.
Saad bin Laden has been living in Iran since the fall of the Taliban in Afghanistan in 2001, apparently under house arrest.
The letter, which was signed by Ayman al-Zawahiri, al-Qaeda’’s second in command, was written after the American embassy in Yemen was attacked by simultaneous suicide car bombs in September.
Western security officials said the missive thanked the leadership of Iran’’s Revolutionary Guards for providing assistance to al-Qaeda to set up its terrorist network in Yemen, which has suffered ten al-Qaeda-related terror attacks in the past year, including two bomb attacks against the American embassy.
In the letter al-Qaeda’’s leadership pays tribute to Iran’’s generosity, stating that without its “monetary and infrastructure assistance” it would have not been possible for the group to carry out the terror attacks.
In the past, there has been intense speculation about the level of Iranian support for al-Qaeda since the 9/11 Commission report into al-Qaeda’’s terror attacks against the U.S. in 2001 concluded that Iran had provided safe passage for many of the 9/11 hijackers travelling between Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia prior to the attacks. (ANI)
- Al Qaeda chief wants '9/11' of his own - Sep 10, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Second Lead, Changing dateline) - Dec 02, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri, who calls Pakistan a US colony, to head Al Qaeda (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2011
- Al-Qaeda holding US aid worker hostage in Pakistan - Dec 02, 2011
- Ayman al-Zawahiri, America's new most wanted - May 05, 2011
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Lead) - Dec 02, 2011
- Bin Laden appoints new commander to spearhead al Qaeda's operations against West - Nov 13, 2010
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 16, 2011
- Osama bin Laden living in luxury in a house in Pakistan - Oct 18, 2010
- Literature of terror: Books Osama spawned - May 02, 2011
- Despite split reports, al-Zawahiri could be new Al Qaeda boss - May 07, 2011
- Osama Bin Laden still alive, in touch with al-Qaeda, claims al- Zawahiri - Feb 26, 2011
- US doubts Al Qaeda leader Zawahiri has fled Pakistan - Sep 15, 2011
- CIA air strikes have driven 9/11 al-Qaeda kingpins in Pak terror belt underground: Obama - Sep 11, 2010
Tags: 9 11 hijackers, al qaeda, american embassy, ayman al zawahiri, bomb attacks, car bombs, house arrest, infrastructure assistance, intense speculation, interception, iranian support, missive, qaeda leader osama, revolutionary guards, safe passage, saudi arabia, security officials, taliban in afghanistan, terror attacks, terrorist network