IPL ratings on the downswing after first year highApril 24th, 2009 - 4:03 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr.24 (ANI): The Indian Premier League is struggling to match the immense interest of last year’s inaugural season after organisers were forced to shift the 37-day Twenty20 tournament to South Africa.
The inaugural IPL’s TV rating attracted top-spending advertisers last year, but viewers’ attention now seems to be wavering.
The IPL is being played April 18-May 24 across eight cities in South Africa after organisers failed to get a security clearance from the Indian government due to a clash of dates with the general elections.
Replicating the success of the IPL’s first edition in 2008 was always going to be tough, but audience ratings have taken on more importance since the shift away from India has effectively turned the IPL into a made-for-television event, reports SAPA.
“The start hasn’t been as bright as last year’s, but media watchers say IPL’s second season still promises to be a big hit on TV,” reported The Times of India newspaper.
The Times, quoting audience measurement agency INTAM Media Research, said the first day’s IPL telecast from South Africa “notched up a TRP (television rating points) of 5.55 percent.”
Last year, the IPL had averaged around a TRP of 5 percent throughout the series, sustaining itself as the top TV programme in the country of one billion-plus people across 44 days.
The Business Standard newspaper said the dip in viewing figures has not surprised media agencies.
“The novelty factor was missing since this is the second year. This trend is also noticeable for realty shows that air for the second or third time,” the Business Standard quoted Havas Media India’s chief executive Anita Nayyar as saying. (ANI)
- Dadagiri is back with a bang! - Aug 27, 2010
- 'Khatron Ke Khiladi - Torchaar' gets maximum ratings ever - Jun 06, 2011
- IPL set for grand start - without 'feel good' factor - Apr 03, 2012
- It's romance over reality - 'Swayamvar 3' gets lowest TRP - May 31, 2011
- Special committee for TRP soon: Ambika Soni - Aug 27, 2012
- Paris Saint-Germain signs Brazilian defender Silva - Jul 15, 2012
- Who's afraid of IPL? Not Hindi TV channels - Mar 21, 2012
- Amitabh's 'KBC 2010' beats all in TRP race - Oct 12, 2010
- South Africa can dominate world cricket: Kirsten - Mar 29, 2012
- Increase sample size to calculate TRPs, says government panel - Jan 10, 2011
- Bhullar eyes top honours at ISPS Handa Singapore Classic - Aug 26, 2011
- IPL: Kochi wants to shift to Ahmedabad - Aug 16, 2011
- 'DID L'il Masters' tops TRP chart - May 05, 2010
- IPL 3 off to a slow start, Anandi, Akshara rule - Mar 19, 2010
- IPL not yet a stunner? - Apr 23, 2009
Tags: audience measurement, audience ratings, downswing, general elections, havas, immense interest, inaugural season, indian government, media india, nayyar, one billion, s tv, second season, security clearance, television event, times of india, times of india newspaper, top tv, tv programme, tv rating