Insufficient evidence to arrest Hafiz Saeed: GilaniMay 13th, 2012 - 12:53 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 13 (IANS) Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said there is insufficient evidence to arrest Mumbai terror attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed, a media report said.
“If you arrest him, that means he will be released by the courts. For the courts you need more evidence,” telegraph.co.uk quoted Gilani as saying.
“You know the judiciary is completely independent in Pakistan.”
Hafiz Saeed, founder of the Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group, is accused of masterminding the 2008 Mumbai terror attack in which 166 people, including foreigners, were killed by 10 terrorists from Pakistan.
The US last month announced an award of up to $10 million for information leading to arrest and conviction of Saeed and $2 million for Hafiz Adbul Rahman Makki, under the Rewards for Justice programme, for information on the two terrorists.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, during her three-day trip to India earlier this month, said she had authorised the award for Hafiz Saeed who was responsible for the attack in Mumbai.
“It may take longer than we like but we will stand with you and trying to make that happen,” she said May 7 in Kolkata.
- Not enough evidence to arrest Hafiz Saeed, says Gilani (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Al Qaeda chief al-Zawahiri is in Pakistan: Clinton - May 07, 2012
- US envoy denies meeting Hafiz Saeed - May 10, 2012
- Pakistan not doing enough on Mumbai attack: Clinton - May 07, 2012
- Hafiz supporters rant against India - Apr 07, 2012
- 'World recognises Pakistan shelters terrorist masterminds' - Apr 03, 2012
- Ahead of Zardari visit, India ups pressure over Hafiz Saeed (Roundup) - Apr 03, 2012
- 26/11 justice: India hails US $10 mn bounty for Hafiz Saeed (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- US can contact me whenever they want: Hafiz Saeed - Apr 04, 2012
- Manmohan-Zardari meeting: India to press for action against Saeed - Apr 03, 2012
- $10 mn bounty on me for opposing NATO supplies: Hafiz Saeed - Apr 03, 2012
- India hopes Pakistan can take action against Saeed - Apr 03, 2012
- Can't act against Saeed without evidence: Pakistan - Apr 06, 2012
- 'No exclusive US bounty for Hafiz Saeed' - Apr 29, 2012
- Pakistani group slams US reward for Hafiz Saeed - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: 10 million, conviction, day trip, foreigners, gilani, hafiz, hillary clinton, insufficient evidence, judiciary, lashkar e taiba, makki, mastermind, militant group, pakistani prime minister, raza, saeed, secretary of state, terror attack, us secretary of state, yousuf