India’s reiterates Mumbai attackers came from PakistanDecember 3rd, 2008 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 3 (IANS) India Wednesday reiterated that the perpetrators of last week’s Mumbai blasts had come from Pakistan and demanded that those behind them be arrested and brought to justice.”I informed (visiting US Secretary of State) Dr. (Condoleezza) Rice that there is no doubt the attacks were perpetrated by individuals who came from Pakistan and whose controllers are in Pakistan,” External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee said at a joint press conference here after his talks with Rice.
“This is an assessment widely shared by international community,” Mukherjee added.
Noting that he had briefed Rice on the discussions with the Pakistani government “and our expectations of cooperation from them”, he demanded that the perpetrators of the attacks be “arrested and brought to justice”.
“We expect all friendly governments to ensure this happens,” Mukherjee added.
He said he had also conveyed to Rice “the feeling of anger and deep outrage in India following the attacks”.
Mukherjee noted that the Mumbai strikes were preceded by similar attacks in Jaipur, Bangalore, Ahmedabad and Delhi in which almost 350 innocent lives were lost and 733 other people were injured.
“The government of India is determined to act decisively to protect the territorial integrity of India and the right of our citizens to a peaceful life with all means at our disposal,” Mukherjee said.
Noting that Rice had “especially come to express the solidarity of the US in the wake of the heinous attack”, Mukherjee said: “We greatly appreciate this gesture and welcome it.”
Tags: condoleezza rice, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, government of india, innocent lives, mumbai blasts, mumbai terror attack, pakistani government, peaceful life, pranab mukherjee, territorial integrity