India’s cricket tour helps Sri Lanka settle Rs.600 mn liabilitiesJune 27th, 2008 - 11:38 pm ICT by IANS
By P. Karunakharan
Colombo, June 27 (IANS) India’s forthcoming cricket tour to Sri Lanka in July has turned out to be a boon for Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) because it has helped the latter settle its financial liabilities of over Rs. 600 million with local banks. “Sri Lanka Cricket is pleased to inform that all financial liabilities with banks, including pending overdrafts over Rs.600 million, have been settled on the 20th of June 2008 with payments received from the sale of TV rights for the upcoming India Tour of Sri Lanka,” the SLC said in a statement Friday.
A top SLC official told IANS that the SLC was able to settle this seven-month long overdue after its received nearly 50 percent advance payment for the television rights from host broadcaster TEN SPORTS.
“According to the agreement, the television rights between the TEN SPORTS and SLC runs till 2012,” the official said.
Sri Lankan and Indian cricket teams are scheduled to play three Test matches and five one-day internationals at Colombo, Galle and Dambulla during the series in July and August.
Meanwhile, the Sri Lanka Cricketers’ Association announced that the annual contracts for the national and the ‘A’ teams for the period of 2008-09 “is currently under negotiation between the players and Sri Lanka Cricket”.
“Therefore, the national players who are currently participating in the Asia Cup (in Pakistan) signed the relevant tour contract prior to their departure on same,” the Sri Lanka Cricketers’ Association said in a statement.
- ICC pays delayed salaries of Sri Lankan cricketers - Dec 20, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricketers end battle for contracts - Jul 18, 2012
- Sri Lanka to ban sportsmen refusing to represent country - Jun 11, 2012
- No DRS for Australia-Sri Lanka series for lack of sponsor - Jul 15, 2011
- Sri Lankan cricketers want contract issue settled early - Jul 17, 2012
- Stuart Law named Sri Lanka coach for tour of England - Apr 07, 2011
- Sri Lanka forms new interim cricket committee - Jul 02, 2011
- SLC hopes to convince BCCI to allow participation of Indian cricketers (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- Malinga's decision to play in lucrative IPL, but not Tests 'awkward': Duleep Mendis - Apr 21, 2011
- Cash strapped Sri Lanka board reduces budget for Australia's tour - Jun 26, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricket officials rush to meet BCCI - Jun 21, 2011
- Sri Lanka to sack Dilshan, Marsh for South African debacle - Jan 19, 2012
- 'Twenty20 league owned by Sri Lankan board, not private body' - Jun 19, 2011
- Sri Lanka interim cricket board dissolved - Jul 01, 2011
- Pakistan cricket team to tour Sri Lanka in June - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: advance payment, asia cup, colombo, cricket teams, cricket tour, cricketers, dambulla, day internationals, financial liabilities, host broadcaster, india tour, indian cricket, overdrafts, play three, seven month, sri lanka cricket, sri lankan, television rights, test matches, tv rights