Indian trooper killed in Liberia road accident (Lead)June 22nd, 2010 - 6:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 22 (IANS) An Indian paramilitary trooper on a UN peacekeping mission in Liberia has died in a road accident, a senior official said Tuesday, denying reports that he was killed in a firing incident involving a Pakistani officer in the west African nation.
At the same time, the CRPF admits that a Pakistani Army officer opened fire at one of its camps at a different location in Liberia and that there was some damage to property but no casuslties.
Constable Dinesh Kumar Pandey, posted in Liberian capital Monrovia, “died in a road accident”, Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) chief Vikram Srivastava told IANS.
Srivastava, currently on an official tour to Orissa, said the constable was hit by a truck in Monrovia and was not killed in a firing incident.
“These are two separate incidents. There was no casualty in the firing incident,” he said.
CRPF spokesperson Ajai Chaturvedi said Pandey was manning a traffic junction when he was hit by a speeding vehicle May 30.
“He sustained serious skull injuries and was evacuated to Ghana for treatment, where he died June 5,” Chaturvedi said, adding that his body was brought to his home town Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh June 10.
Chaturvedi said the CRPF has two units in Liberia attached with the UN mandated Formed Police Unit - at Monrovia and Zwedru, some 560 km southeast of the capital.
About the firing incident, Chaturvedi said that in the early hours of June 8, “an officer of the Pakistani Army unit at Zwedru opened fire at the CRPF camp.
“There was some damage to property. Fortunately, no injuries were sustained by any of our personnel. The UN has begun investigations in the matter and a board of enquiry has been set up,” the CRPF spokesperson said.
Some ammunition and a rifle were recovered in front of the CRPF post after the incident.
- CRPF man dies in road accident in Liberia - Jun 22, 2010
- UN probes firing on Indian troopers by Pakistani officer - Jun 22, 2010
- Pakistan to probe firing incident at Indian camp in Liberia - Jun 23, 2010
- Riots in Liberia ahead of presidential poll run-off - Nov 07, 2011
- Three killed Indian peacekeepers to be honoured - May 25, 2012
- CRPF trooper killed, 16 hurt in road accident - Jun 12, 2010
- Liberia to play Senegal in FIFA World cup qualifier - May 31, 2012
- CRPF women contingent leaves for Liberia - Feb 16, 2012
- Four of family burnt to death in Pakistan - Dec 31, 2011
- CRPF woman constable shoots herself dead (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- India gifts 25 buses to Liberia (With Image) - Nov 04, 2010
- CRPF trooper dies in accidental blast - Mar 22, 2012
- Two woman cops, three others killed in Rajasthan accidents - Jun 17, 2012
- No firing by our troopers in Kashmir Monday: CRPF chief - Jun 28, 2010
- BSF trooper shot dead by senior in Kashmir - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: african nation, allahabad, ammunition, army officer, army unit, constable, crpf, dinesh kumar, liberia road, New Delhi, orissa, pakistani army, police force, police unit, reserve police, road accident, spokesperson, traffic junction, uttar pradesh, vikram srivastava