Indian, Pakistani troops battle on Kashmir borderJune 19th, 2012 - 5:41 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 19 (IANS) Pakistani troops again opened fire on Indian positions along the Line of Control (LoC) on the Jammu and Kashmir border, triggering gun battles for about two hours, officials said Tuesday.
The Pakistani firing on the Indian Army’s forward positions took place in the Krishna Ghati sector of Poonch district around midnight Monday.
Pakistani troops have been regularly firing on Indian posts along the LoC that divides Jammu and Kashmir between India and Pakistan.
The officials said the firing had escalated tensions in the area, causing a scare among the locals.
According to army sources, the Pakistani troops have been violating the ceasefire in the region for the past one week. India has lost two soldiers and two more were critically injured in the firing.
The latest provocation began around midnight Monday and lasted for more that two hours, the officials said.
The Indians retaliated in a “restrained matter” to avoid any escalation.
The situation has reportedly further worsened because Pakistan has not responded to the Indian call for a flag meeting, which is normally held to defuse tensions.
- Pakistan halts firing at LoC - Jun 21, 2012
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- Pak violates cease-fire in Poonch district, one soldier killed - Oct 25, 2010
- All quiet at LoC, day after six-hour firing - May 24, 2010
- Soldier injured in Pakistani firing on LoC - Jun 17, 2012
- Indian Army lodges protest over LoC firing (Lead) - Sep 29, 2010
- Two terrorists killed in Jammu and Kashmir - Nov 14, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at Indian posts (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire at six Indian posts (Second Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Pakistan ready for flag meeting after firing - Jun 22, 2012
- India to Pakistan: Truce violations jeopardise peace - Jun 23, 2012
- Pakistan violates ceasefire - May 23, 2010
- Pakistani troops violate ceasefire in Kashmir - Aug 26, 2011
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at six Indian posts (Night Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- One soldier injured in firing from Pakistan - Oct 24, 2010
Tags: army sources, ceasefire, escalation, forward positions, ghati, gun battles, india and pakistan, indian army, indians, kashmir, krishna, loc, locals, pakistani troops, provocation, scare, tensions, troops battle, two soldiers