Indian, Pakistani forces trade fire, infiltration foiled (Lead, Superseding earlier story)May 1st, 2010 - 12:44 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 1 (IANS) Indian border guards exchanged heavy gunfire with Pakistani forces at the Jammu and Kashmir border and foiled an attempt by militants to sneak into India, officials said Saturday.
The Border Security Force (BSF) fired back at the Pakistan Rangers after coming under attack at Ballad post in Samba sector, about 45 km southwest of Jammu, on the international border at 11 p.m. Friday.
“It was an infiltration bid by militants. The gunfire lasted for about 90 minutes. The BSF succeeded in foiling the infiltration attempt,” a BSF official told IANS.
Still, the BSF is searching the area for footprints to determine if anyone did manage to enter India.
A fortnight ago, two militants crossed over into Jammu and Kashmir from Hiranagar sector of Kathua district. They were later killed by the Punjab Police in a village in Gurdaspur district in adjoining Punjab.
- India, Pakistan troops exchange fire, infiltration bid foiled - May 01, 2010
- Indian, Pakistani forces exchange fire, infiltration foiled (Second Lead) - May 01, 2010
- Security forces foil infiltration bid in Jammu region - May 01, 2010
- Two BSF soldiers injured in Pakistani firing - Aug 07, 2012
- Pakistan fires at Indian border post - Aug 15, 2011
- BSF trooper injured in firing by Pakistani Rangers - Dec 30, 2011
- Jammu villagers being trained to curb infiltration - May 21, 2010
- BSF foils infiltration attempt near Jammu - Dec 22, 2009
- Infiltration bid foiled near India-Pakistan border - Jan 09, 2010
- BSF opens fire near Jammu border - Jun 29, 2011
- Pakistani troops violate ceasefire in Kashmir - Dec 29, 2010
- Indian, Pakistani forces exchange fire on border - Dec 13, 2009
- Infiltration bid foiled by security forces in Jammu - May 01, 2010
- BSF trooper injured in cross-border firing near Jammu - Aug 11, 2012
- BSF foils infiltration bid along international border - Mar 09, 2010
Tags: ballad, border guards, border security force, bsf official, footprints, fortnight, heavy gunfire, India, indian border, infiltration, international border, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir border, militants, pakistan rangers, punjab police, samba, southwest