Indian, Pakistani forces exchange fire, infiltration foiled (Second Lead)May 1st, 2010 - 9:14 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 1 (IANS) India’s Border Security Force (BSF) personnel exchanged heavy gunfire with Pakistani Rangers at the Jammu and Kashmir border and foiled an attempt by militants to sneak into the state, officials said Saturday.
The BSF personnel fired back at the Pakistan Rangers after coming under attack at Ballad post in the Samba sector, about 45 km southwest of Jammu, on the international border at 11 p.m. Friday.
“It was an infiltration bid by militants. The gunfire lasted for about 90 minutes,” a BSF official told IANS.
BSF Inspector General (Jammu Frontier) A.K. Surolia, told IANS: “We succeeded in foiling the infiltration bid. The infiltrators were not allowed to come near the (barbed wire) fence (on the border).”
Following the incident, BSF troopers launched massive searches and pressed sniffer dogs into service to find out if any of the infiltrators were hiding in the bushes that dot the area.
The BSF has also stepped up vigil along the international border. More troopers would be deployed on patrolling duty along the border.
“We are vigilant, but it’s always better to be extra vigilant,” a BSF officer who visited the spot told IANS on the phone.
A fortnight ago, two militants crossed over into Jammu and Kashmir from the Hiranagar sector of Kathua district. They were later killed by the Punjab Police in a village in Gurdaspur district in adjoining Punjab.
- India, Pakistan troops exchange fire, infiltration bid foiled - May 01, 2010
- Indian, Pakistani forces trade fire, infiltration foiled (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - May 01, 2010
- Security forces foil infiltration bid in Jammu region - May 01, 2010
- Two BSF soldiers injured in Pakistani firing - Aug 07, 2012
- BSF lodges protest with Pakistani Rangers over firing - Aug 17, 2009
- BSF trooper injured in firing by Pakistani Rangers - Dec 30, 2011
- BSF foils infiltration bid in Jammu - Jan 13, 2010
- BSF trooper injured in firing on LoC - May 02, 2010
- Jammu villagers being trained to curb infiltration - May 21, 2010
- BSF trooper injured in cross-border firing near Jammu - Aug 11, 2012
- BSF kills infiltrator at India-Pakistan border - Oct 02, 2009
- Infiltration bid foiled by security forces in Jammu - May 01, 2010
- BSF foils infiltration bid along international border - Mar 09, 2010
- Indian, Pakistani forces exchange fire on border - Dec 13, 2009
- Trooper killed in firing from Pakistan (Lead) - Jul 06, 2010
Tags: barbed wire fence, border security force, bsf official, exchange fire, fortnight, heavy gunfire, hiding in the bushes, infiltration, infiltrators, inspector general, international border, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir border, militants, pakistan rangers, pakistani rangers, punjab police, state officials, vigil