Indian, Pakistani border guards start dialogueJuly 2nd, 2012 - 5:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 2 (IANS) Talks beween the Indian Border Security Force (BSF)and Pakistan Rangers began here Monday where issues like cross-border firing, smuggling of arms, drugs and fake currency as well as infiltration will be discussed.
An 18-member delegation of Pakistan Rangers, led by Director General of Pakistan Rangers (Sindh) Rizwan Akhtar, was received by BSF Director General U.K. Bansal as they landed in Delhi for the bi-annual meeting with BSF.
“This is the first time that the dialogue between the two border guarding forces is being held in the capital,” said a BSF statement.
“The four-day meet began at the BSF headquarters here today (Monday) after a ceremonial guard of honour was accorded by the Indian border guards to the visiting delegation”.
The bi-annual event has earler been held at Amritsar, Chandigarh and Jalandhar.
The 22-member Indian delegation to the talks includes senior officials from BSF, the Ministry of Home Affairs, PWD officials of the Punjab government, sleuths of the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) and officials from the Survey of India.
“Key issues to be discussed in the talks include unprovoked firing in Jammu and Sialkot sectors, smuggling of arms and drugs, illegal entry of Pakistanis in India, arrests of Indian fishermen by Pakistani forces and military construction close to the border,” the statement said.
“Some of the visiting officials are also accompanied by their wives. They will be taken to Taj Mahal in Agra and Jaipur today (Monday) evening in BSF aircraft,” a senior official told IANS.
A joint record of discussions will be signed on July 5, when the talks are due to conclude.
- BSF, Pakistan Rangers to meet in Delhi - Jul 01, 2012
- BSF delegation arrives in Pakistan - Oct 27, 2010
- Indian, Pakistani border guards to prevent truce violations - Jul 05, 2012
- BSF-Pakistan Rangers meeting starts in Punjab - Mar 28, 2010
- Eid Mubarak at Wagah-Attari border - Aug 20, 2012
- BSF, Bangladesh border guards to discuss trans-border issues - Mar 16, 2012
- India-Pakistan border guards meet at Wagah-Attari check post - Aug 09, 2010
- Two rockets fired from Pakistan into Punjab (Lead) - Apr 19, 2010
- There is no infiltration into India: Pakistan Rangers - Mar 28, 2010
- Pakistan, India ink pact to tackle drug trafficking - Sep 13, 2011
- India, Bangladesh hold border talks - Sep 26, 2011
- Indian, Pakistan border guards exchange greetings - Aug 15, 2012
- BSF trooper killed in cross border firing in Jammu - Aug 17, 2012
- India gives list of terror camps to Bangladesh - Sep 30, 2011
- Dhaka to take up border killings with New Delhi - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: border guards, border security force, bsf, ceremonial guard, fake currency, guard of honour, illegal entry, indian border, indian delegation, indian fishermen, member delegation, military construction, ministry of home affairs, narcotics control bureau, pakistan rangers, pakistani border, punjab government, rizwan, sialkot, taj mahal in agra