Indian government did not contact us: Sailor’s familyJune 24th, 2011 - 3:34 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 24 (IANS) The family of a sailor from Himachal Pradesh is relieved at his safe return Friday to India after being released by Somali pirates but upset with the Indian government for its apathetic attitude.
“We have a grudge against the Indian authorities as nobody contacted us about their (sailors’) arrival. Even in Delhi, nobody provided us any details. It’s sad,” rued Amar Singh Chauhan, father of sailor Parshant Chauhan.
Six Indian sailors, who were among the 22-member crew of the hijacked Egyptian cargo vessel M.V. Suez, arrived in New Delhi Friday after more than 10 months in Somali pirates’ captivity.
The family got a phone call about the return of the freed sailors to India from Ansar Burney, former Pakistani federal minister for human rights, Thursday evening.
“We are very thankful to Ansar Burney. He was in regular contact with us and he played an important role in raising donations for the cause,” the sailor’s father, a state government employee, told IANS over phone from New Delhi.
“We were happy to see our son. We are thankful to the god for his safe return,” he added.
Somali pirates hijacked the Egyptian-owned ship in the Gulf of Aden Aug 2, 2010. The pirates released the ship and the crew after a $2.1 million ransom was paid to them by a Pakistani organisation.
Apart from the six Indians, the 22 hostages included 11 Egyptians, four Pakistanis and a Sri Lankan.
- Himachal family awaits return of sailor freed by pirates - Jun 14, 2011
- Somali pirates free Indians, government tightlipped about Pakistani help (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Freed Indian sailors reach Delhi, thank Pakistan (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Indian sailors' return: Krishna thanks Pakistan - Jun 24, 2011
- BJP thanks Pakistani activist, not navy, for saving Indian sailors - Jun 24, 2011
- Somali pirates release 6 Indian sailors - Jun 14, 2011
- Freed Indian sailors reach Delhi, thank Pakistan (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Freed after 10 months, Indian sailors to return home (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- Indian-Pakistani efforts to free another pirate-held ship - Apr 17, 2011
- Family of Haryana sailor ecstatic over his safe return - Jun 24, 2011
- India happy over its sailors' release by pirates - Jun 14, 2011
- When Suez's captain shed tears on daughter's shoulders - Jun 24, 2011
- Thanks to Pakistan, Indian sailors gain freedom (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2011
- Four Pakistani sailors released by Somali pirates - Jun 14, 2011
- Pakistani sailors' families welcome release by pirates - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: 10 months, 11 egyptians, apathetic attitude, aug 2, captivity, cargo vessel, federal minister, government employee, grudge, gulf of aden, hostages, indian authorities, indian government, member crew, pakistanis, safe return, sailors, somali pirates, sri lankan, suez