Indian Army recalls 1971 victoryDecember 16th, 2011 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Dec 16 (IANS) The Indian Army’s Northern Command Friday paid tributes to soldiers killed during the 1971 India-Pakistan war that led to the birth of Bangladesh.
On this day in 1971, India triumphed after a 14-day war, and around 93,000 Pakistani soldiers surrendered in Dhaka and other parts of the then East Pakistan, which seceded to become Bangladesh.
The Indian Army in Jammu and Kashmir advanced in several sectors into Pakistani territory.
The Chief of Staff of the Northern Command, Lt Gen B.S. Pama, highlighted the major military victories in Partapur, Kargil, Tangdhar, Poonch and Shakargarh areas in the northern theatre in 1971.
The war started Dec 3, 1971 when Pakistani jets attacked Indian airports along the border. The war lasted 14 days, concluding with the birth of Bangladesh and surrender of Pakistani soldiers.
“The swift multi-pronged operations professionally planned and executed by the Indian armed forces led to one of the greatest military victories in history,” a spokesman for the Northern Command said.
- Bangladesh thanks India for supporting 'just' war - Dec 16, 2011
- India remembers war heroes on 40th anniversary of 1971 war - Dec 16, 2011
- India forgetting 1999 Kargil victory against Pakistan: Gen. V.P Malik (Interview) - Jul 29, 2012
- Has Bangladesh's creation benefited India strategically? - Dec 14, 2011
- Dhaka court questions repatriation of Pakistani war criminals - Nov 03, 2010
- Indian, Bangladeshi war heroes celebrate victory day - Dec 16, 2011
- India's first field marshal Sam Manekshaw remembered - Apr 03, 2012
- Indian Army celebrates Kargil war Victory Day - Jul 26, 2011
- Indian Army's Northern Command celebrates 41st raising day - Jun 17, 2012
- Bangladesh pays tribute to martyrs on Victory Day - Dec 16, 2011
- Gen Bikram Singh assumes command of Indian Army (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Indian Army remembers fallen heroes of Battle of Basantar (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- 25 Bangladeshi's to attend 40th anniversary celebrations of '71 war - Dec 07, 2011
- Zardari hails Bhutto, recalls Simla pact - Jan 05, 2012
- Dhoni visits Kargil, pays homage to martyrs of 1999 - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,