Indian Army lodges protest with Pakistan on ceasefire violationsJuly 18th, 2010 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 18 (IANS) The Indian Army has lodged a “strong protest” with Pakistan over the continuous ceasefire violations from across the Line of Control (LoC) and the International Border in Jammu and Kashmir, officials said Sunday.
“We have lodged a strong protest with the Pakistani army during a flag meeting held yesterday,” an official told IANS here.
The meeting, held near the LoC in Poonch sector, comes in the backdrop of Thursday’s ceasefire violation even as Indian and Pakistan foreign ministers were holding peace talks in Islamabad.
Pakistani troops opened heavy fire at five positions along the LoC and at another place from across the International Border in Jammu and Kashmir in a violation of the 2003 ceasefire agreement between the two countries.
Pakistani troops started firing from across the International Border in Ranbir Singhpora sector, 30 km west of Jammu, at around 10.30 p.m. Thursday. Within minutes, gun fire also came from across the Krishna Ghati sector in Mendhar area.
There have been at least eight ceasefire violations in the past two weeks.
On July 7, Pakistan Rangers fired at an Indian border post on the international border in Jammu and Kashmir’s Akhnoor sector killing a Border Security Force (BSF) constable.
A day earlier, another BSF trooper was killed at the Chak Sagwali post in Pargwal area in Pakistani firing from across the border.
Pakistan Rangers are regularly violating the ceasefire agreement, according to Indian army sources who say that it was being done to divert attention and push infiltrators to this side.
- BSF trooper killed on Kashmir border, tensions up (Lead) - Jul 07, 2010
- Pakistan halts firing at LoC - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistani troops target Indian border posts - Jan 05, 2012
- Pakistan violates ceasefire again, BSF trooper killed - Jul 07, 2010
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at Indian posts (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Pakistan Army, Rangers fire on Indian posts on LoC, border (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Pakistani Rangers fire at Indian posts in Jammu - Aug 06, 2012
- Indian, Pakistani troops battle on Kashmir border - Jun 19, 2012
- Pakistani troops fire at six Indian posts (Second Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Pakistan ready for flag meeting after firing - Jun 22, 2012
- Pak violates cease-fire in Poonch district, one soldier killed - Oct 25, 2010
- India to Pakistan: Truce violations jeopardise peace - Jun 23, 2012
- Pakistan violates ceasefire - May 23, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at six Indian posts (Night Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: army sources, border post, border security force, bsf, ceasefire agreement, ceasefire violations, constable, foreign ministers, ghati, gun fire, indian army, indian border, international border, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, krishna, pakistan rangers, pakistani army, pakistani troops, peace talks