India welcomes multi-facility economic zone for Indian companies in ZambiaSeptember 17th, 2008 - 4:12 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept 17 (ANI): Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Kamal Nath today welcomed the multi-facility economic zone created by the Zambia Development Agency for Indian companies to set up manufacturing and services industries in Zambia.
During the bilateral meeting with Felix C. Mutati, Minister for Trade, Commerce and Industry, Zambia, here, Nath said that India has lot to offer for infrastructural development in Zambia, particularly in energy, mining, agriculture, commercial building and road transportation sectors.
He further added that India would like to explore and invest in the development of industries-based crops such as cotton, sugar, soya bean and groundnuts.
Both sides agreed for cooperation for capacity building in the field of agro-processing and development of agro product markets.
The meeting was attended by Ajai Shankar, Secretary (DIPP), senior officials from both the countries and representatives from CII and FICCI.
India’’s investments in Zambia have been US two billion dollar up to 2008. The major Indian companies, which have invested in Zambia, are in the copper mining sector. Capital inflow is also taking place in other sectors like banking, health and education.
As regards India-Zambia Joint Trade Committee Meeting, Nath hoped that Zambia would convene the 3rd Meeting at the earliest to further strengthen India-Zambia trade and economic relations.
The 2nd Meeting was held during 2006 in New Delhi.
The bilateral goods trade between India and Zambia has seen a growth of 6.43 per cent between 2006-07 and 2007-08.
The total bilateral trade during 2007-08 was US 206.96 million sollar. The major items of India’’s exports are machinery are instruments, drugs, pharmaceuticals and fine chemicals, electronic goods and transport equipment.
The major items of India’’s imports are metalifers ores and metal scrap, pearls, precious and semi-precious stones, non-ferrous metals and leather. (ANI)
- Zambia hopes to treble trade with India - Aug 23, 2012
- Zambia seeks Indian investments in heath, mining - Oct 20, 2011
- India, Brazil to set up CEOs forum - Mar 08, 2011
- India to build stronger trade, economic ties with Brazil: Anand Sharma - Mar 08, 2011
- India asks Zimbabwe to ratify investment treaty - Mar 20, 2012
- Zambia seeks strong economic partnership with India: Envoy - Mar 07, 2010
- India-Netherlands bilateral trade pegged at 7.2 bln dollars in 2007-08 - Feb 10, 2009
- India, Turkey can have economic strategic partnership: Sharma - Sep 08, 2009
- Need to increase trade between India and Tanzania: Kamal Nath - Jan 19, 2009
- Ansari meets Zambian leaders, two countries sign bilateral pact - Jan 07, 2010
- India business delegation visits South America - Jul 06, 2012
- India offers to develop Botswana's rail network - Sep 20, 2011
- India awaits ratification process for BIPA: Anand Sharma - Mar 29, 2011
- India-Ghana trade to reach $1 bn by 2013 - Mar 12, 2012
- African countries invite Indian investment in agriculture - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: bilateral trade, capital inflow, copper mining, economic relations, economic zone, electronic goods, ficci india, fine chemicals, infrastructural development, kamal nath, metal scrap, minister of commerce, non ferrous metals, product markets, road transportation, semi precious stones, trade commerce, trade committee, transportation sectors, union minister