India urges Pakistan to take ’sympathetic view’ on SarabjitJune 24th, 2009 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) India urged Pakistan to take a “sympathetic and humanitarian” view in the case of Sarabjit Singh, an Indian prisoner on death row whose mercy petition was turned down by the Pakistani Supreme Court Wednesday.
External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna told reporters that while the government was aware of media reports about the Pakistan Supreme Corut rejecting Sarabjit Singh’s review petition, details of the judgement were still awaited.
He acknowledged that the prisoner’s fate had touched a nerve in India. “Sarabjit Singh’s case has touched sentiments of many people in India who have been following this case,” he said.
Krishna said India has and will continue to appeal to Pakistan to remove Sarabjit Singh from death row.
“We have consistently urged the government of Pakistan to take a sympathetic and humanitarian view in this case. It is our hope that they will find it possible to do so,” he said.
Sarabjit has been convicted of staging four bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan in 1990 that claimed 14 lives. His family contests the death sentence, saying he had strayed into Pakistan in a drunken state in 1990 and had nothing to do with the blasts.
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- India calls for Sarabjit's release, upset at Pakistan's U-turn (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- India asks Pakistan to release Sarabjit - Aug 11, 2011
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Will seek Sarabjit's pardon: Pakistani lawyer - Jun 27, 2009
- Fates of Sarabjit, Chishty figure in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Sarabjit to petition Zardari for mercy (Lead) - Jul 06, 2009
- Sarabjit to petition Zardari for mercy - Jul 06, 2009
- Pakistani Supreme Court rejects Sarabjit's plea, India urges 'sympathetic' view (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2009
- Free Sarabjit, Krishna 'requests' Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- VHP opposes release of Pakistani prisoner - Jun 24, 2011
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
Tags: bomb blasts, death row, death sentence, drunken state, external affairs minister, family contests, fate, government of pakistan, judgement, june 24, krishna, lahore, mercy petition, multan, nerve, New Delhi, sarabjit singh, sentiments, supreme court, sympathetic view