India to seek Headley details from PakistanFebruary 8th, 2011 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) The National Investigation Agency (NIA) will seek from Pakistan details of the assets, bank accounts and the associates of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) operative David Headley after Islamabad denied permission for a probe in that country.The details are required to corroborate the information Headley had given to NIA sleuths during his questioning in the US last year, sources said.
The sources said that Headley, alleged to have schemed with the LeT terror outfit the 2008 Mumbai attack, had named some of his associates in Pakistan and other details related to his assets and bank accounts.
They said the NIA sought an approval from the union home ministry to send a formal request to a Pakistan court for judicial assistance in the case. Pakistan is also probing the Headley links on its soil.
“Letters Rogatory through the Mumbai court will be sent to Pakistan for transferring the evidence in connection with Headley and his associate Tahawwur Hussain Rana,” an official told IANS.
Rana is accused of helping Headley plot the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack and other foiled strikes in India planned by the LeT.
If Pakistan transfers the evidences, the NIA will be able to conclude the probe and frame charges against the two.
The move to send a judicial request comes a day after Pakistan refused permission to an NIA team to interrogate the people accused in the Mumbai terror attack who are facing trial in that country.
Pakistan has said that the law in that country did not allow a probe by any foreign agency in any case there.
- 26/11: Sleuths want to probe role of Headley's wife - Jan 22, 2012
- Court allows probe against Headley's wife - Feb 18, 2012
- India to seek extradition of 26/11 accused from US, Pakistan - Jan 30, 2012
- 26/11: Order reserved for taking cognizance of charge sheet - Feb 04, 2012
- NIA to finalise charges against Rana after US trial - May 16, 2011
- India 'disappointed' with Rana verdict (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Home ministry gives nod to charges against Headley (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- NIA charges against Headley, Pakistani terrorists soon - Dec 05, 2011
- 26/11: NIA files charges against Headley, eight others (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Rana acquitted for Mumbai, India disappointed (Intro Roundup) - Jun 10, 2011
- Rana 'not guilty' for Mumbai, India disappointed (Roundup) - Jun 10, 2011
- Court defers taking cognizance of NIA's 26/11 charge sheet (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- US may give India access to Headley again - Jun 11, 2011
- 'Headley told LeT of landing sites for Mumbai attack' - May 24, 2011
- Headley regularly exchanged mails with ISI, LeT (Fourth Lead) - May 25, 2011
Tags: assets, bank accounts, country pakistan, david headley, evidences, formal request, frame charges, hussain, investigation agency, judicial assistance, lashkar e taiba, mumbai court, national investigation, New Delhi, pakistan court, sleuths, soil, strikes, terror attack, union home ministry